Sign in to follow this  
olmos1010

Looking for someone to develop a round

I'm looking for someone who can and is willing to develop a good round for my wife's coues rifle. After a good performing round is developed I would like several boxes made. Caliber is 7mm-08 and I'm located in East Mesa. Anyone that can do this or could point me in the right Direction would be greatly appreciated.

Is this request a time issue? Is it a lack of reloading equipment? Experience?

Your best bet would be to do the work yourself using others gear if that's the case? If it's a time issue that's another story.

It's a little bit of everything. I don't have much time due to work and all my kids in sports. I also don't have the equipment needed or the experience to do so as I've only ever bow hunted.

Have you shot factory ammo yet? It will be a lot cheaper

Yes I have, many different rounds. The best Factory round I have found so far is the Hornady American Whitetail 139 grain interlock. This round seems to be very accurate out to 600 yards I'm just worried about the bullets performance at that distance.

I'd be inclined to pick up factory ammo and see what shoots best, and then stock up on that.

You might try these:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/385174/hsm-trophy-gold-ammunition-7mm-08-remington-140-grain-berger-hunting-vld-hollow-point-boat-tail-box-of-20

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/853027/hornady-precision-hunter-ammunition-7mm-08-remington-150-grain-eld-x-box-of-20

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/599091/nosler-bt-ammunition-7mm-08-remington-120-grain-ballistic-tip-box-of-20

I would not worry about those 139 Interlocks at that distance. You could always shoot a round or two of various bullets into a box of wet newspaper at that distance and looks at the expansion and depth of penetration.

• Like 1

That's a good suggestion with the factory ammo. If anything buy 2 boxes of good factory loads and go spend some time on the trigger. After that if you want I can load up 8 sets of 5 rounds at different charges. We can measure your chamber and prep the cases. That way you will be fire formed already. If the factory stuff shoots great stay with that. If it's so so we can try some reloads. There are sure some major league guys here who can dial you in if they have time. If not I can come out of the minors and help you out. Shoot me a pm I'll get you my number if you want. I think you already have my email as well

• Like 1

I'll give the HSM Bergers a try. MulePackhunter I appreciate the offer to help. I'll let you know how this round performs and go from there.

After looking at the 154 grn ballistics I think 500 yards would be maximum range at barely over 1000 ft lb of energy given you can get 2500 fps from the muzzle. With your short barrel your going to be slower. 400 yards would be a better max to be safe. My opinion anyway

A 22" 7-08 should easily get 2700+ with a 154....

I get 2700+ with 162's and a 22" tube...

For strictly a coues rifle, I'd run a 140 Berger in your Tikka with a 2.805" mag length ...

RL-17, RL-16, Big Game, or H4350

• Like 1