Sign in to follow this  
no worries

Youth turkey help

Not sure how to start this post.

My son (junior hunter) really wants to hunt turkeys. I have zero experience with this. Not even sure which areas have turkeys and what hunts are desirable.

I've heard that there are youth camps and would really like to go that route if possible. Do we put in for a draw and then look for a camp that lines up or do we sign up and buy a tag ?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thx Jim

Check out the spring regulations online at the azgfd website. Several units have Over the Counter turkey hunts available during a great time frame to hunt gobbling Tom's.

Listen to some podcasts or online info on calling turkeys. Lots of time to prep before the season begins. Turkey hunting is awesome and is a great way to get started hunting big game. Good luck.

• Like 1

There are several great youth camps each year in units where you can get OTC youth tags. Most camps also have mentors to assist. I believe all of the camps are listed in the AZGFD main regs.

Youth camps are a great way to get it gone. If you're interested in the Happy Jack Youth Camp (5B, 5A, and 6A), I can send you the flyer with the link to register. I'll be there mentoring again.

Whichever camp you choose, they are a great experience and are free!

• Like 2

Youth Outdoors Unlimited has a great youth hunt in 1/27 with plenty of food, fun and birds. Keep an eye on their website to register the earlier you register the easier it is to get a mentor. I have mentored this hunt for several years now and have never failed to get into birds.

http://www.youthoutdoorsunlimited.com

• Like 4

The Arizona Elk Society and NWTF run the camp in Unit 23. We hunt 23 for the kids with the draw tags and for the over the counter kids we hunt 4A and 3C. Lots of area to hunt. Great camp, all the food and stuff is free for all. We have seminars during the days and lots of mentors to take the kids out hunting. Space is limited to 75 kids. We will have online registration. Contact Rich @ oldgobbler60@gmail.com.

• Like 2

Where do you find the online registration I've got to granddaughters I'd like to sign up

If you're wanting to come to the Happy Jack youth camp for 5A, 5B, and 6A, I posted the flyer in another thread in this section. It has the link to register online through the new system.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Youth Outdoors Unlimited has a great youth hunt in 1/27 with plenty of food, fun and birds. Keep an eye on their website to register the earlier you register the easier it is to get a mentor. I have mentored this hunt for several years now and have never failed to get into birds.

This is the youth camp I want to take my boys too but I don't see anything on there site for registration (Unit 1/27).

This is the youth camp I want to take my boys too but I don't see anything on there site for registration (Unit 1/27).

Here you go, directly from the AGFD website. Its how all youth camps are being registered this year.

https://register-ed.com/programs/arizona/170-outdoor-skills-network