firstcoueswas80

Evening Javelina areas

Where do you guys see javelina in the evenings most? Sun? Shade?

I can only recall killing one evening piggie. Seems to me there is no rhym or reason where they are found.

In my observations- an undisturbed herd of javelina wakes up and feeds from 8/9am to around 2-3pm and lay down for naps. Around 430 they tend to start waking up and moving around again but more often stay low in canyons rather than up high where you usually find them in the mornings.

So for afternoons, head to a new spot that you didn't glass in the morning and look under trees, at bottoms of small canyons on hillsides. There's always 1 or 2 pigs still feeding or walking around while the herd naps. I too struggle with finding pigs in the evenings, most of them time I'll find them right at sunset when they are walking in a straight line to their bedding ground for the evening.

• Like 3

Most all of the pigs I have shot (over 12) were taken in the morning except one about noon (1st pig ever), one just before dark and one a few years ago about 4PM. That day I was walking and glassing when I saw one about 150-200 yards up a mountain from about 300 yards away.

The wind was all wrong so I have to circle around and come in from the opposite direction. About 50 yards up the hill I bumped a few that were actively feeding and shot one.

The one just before dark was in a wash with a few others that ran between two long fingers north of the salt across from Phon D Sutton. I went out after work during the week and ended up carrying it out in the dark to where I parked along the Beeline as the NFS had put up a barrier a few years before so we could no longer drive to the salt.

I think the weather plays a big part in when they are active. Last year I was hunting the desert at 3000' and ran into a heard on the move just at sunrise. It was rainy and overcast and maybe 60 degrees out. They can be tough to pattern.

• Like 1

I go with - no tellin - been out on cold wet windy days - walkin the hillside ridges looking in draws / bottoms /washes - turn and glass where I didn't want to go - yep top of the highest hill around

been up top on clear warm sunny days to find the in the bottoms / draws /

you get the picture -- seen and killed any time day- anywhere

I go with - no tellin - been out on cold wet windy days - walkin the hillside ridges looking in draws / bottoms /washes - turn and glass where I didn't want to go - yep top of the highest hill around

been up top on clear warm sunny days to find the in the bottoms / draws /

you get the picture -- seen and killed any time day- anywhere

I know exactly what you mean that's kind of what I was getting at Sons of Guns are where they want when they want!

• Like 1

In good weather I normally find them lounging in washes or traveling to feeding areas. Between 3 and dark

Ive seen lots videos were you seen them on large hill sides. Is it a waste to glass bigger hills? Should you just hang around in the lower hills and washes?

I've seen lots videos were you seen them on large hill sides. Is it a waste to glass bigger hills? Should you just hang around in the lower hills and washes?

Not at all, I have seen them on top of hills too. If there are palo verdes they like to bed under them up high as the thermals carry scent to them they can bail off the other side

• Like 1

I hunt them with this in mind....... If you are comfortable( based on what part of a mountain you are on sunny, shady, high or low) with a light jacket on then that's the same location you will find pigs in. Example, 10 mph north wind, temps in the 50s, sunny. Hunt southfacing hillsides. Change the temp to the low 70s and everything else the same, hunt the bottoms (shade) that come off south facing hillsides. I've been on over 100 pig kills and this theory has worked time and time again.. Wind factors first then temp then the sky conditions. It's not foolproof but it's upped the odds a bunch.

First and foremost you have to have confidence that you are hunting an area that has a pig herd using it but I think that is obvious! :)

running through my side yard.

Or backyard stopping for some action next to arrow target holder.

post-7261-0-73540200-1486545816_thumb.jpg

• Like 3