Sign in to follow this  
Norteno

Elk pose

What is this shoulder mount pose called? I need to get the form ordered for my elk shoulder mount and want an idea to give my taxidermist. I pulled this picture off of facebook. No idea who the people are in the picture so I deleted them out.

I have 10ft ceilings where I want to mount it.

Semi-sneak off-set?

modified sneak?

offset 45 degrees?

post-5874-0-51436100-1486405972_thumb.jpg

That looks like its a pedestal mount not a wall mount. not sure what the pose is called though.

Your elk is big...probably going to have to do one of those side poses or go with a nose down.

My son-in-law has to do a mount like this but with closed mouth for his because he only had 9' ceilings.

20161203_135259_zps7t4row1q.jpg

• Like 1

i have 9' ceilings and 2 really big mounted bulls (372, 402") and went with the 90 degree turn about like the one lance posted. not only is that the best pose to get them the highest on the wall, but i think it shows elk off the best

• Like 2

^^^^show off :D

For my bull I think the right turn is best to show off the 7th and bladed beam on the right side. 90 degree turn is also an additional $250.

Dang it, now I'm considering 90 degree turn again.

A 405" pose :D The taxidermist should have customer's mounts to use as examples, or a picture book.

That's a pretty rough picture to try to go off of. Try looking through some example photos from different Taxidermist's and they will tell you the exact form they used. Just linking a buddies page from back home as an example. Much easier to tell the form used on shots like that. https://www.facebook.com/pg/CoopersTaxidermy/photos/?ref=page_internal

^^^^show off :D

For my bull I think the right turn is best to show off the 7th and bladed beam on the right side. 90 degree turn is also an additional $250.

Dang it, now I'm considering 90 degree turn again.

hahaha. my bad. i've posted them up a few times for people to see when deciding what pose to use for elk. here they are again. i've got better pics with different angles if you need any more persuasion. big bulls with short ceilings IMO need to be mounted 90 degree or pedestal. any other form, they are either too low on the wall or they have to mount their antlers in an unnatural position to clear the wall

post-63-0-32385000-1486413301_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

To answer the original question, it looks like either it was not a normal McKenzie form, or it was altered, as the head is tipped upward more than normal, almost like the bull is looking up the hill type of thing. That makes sense for that room since the mount is so low on the wall. Normal semi-sneaks have the head angled down slightly with eyes pretty straight... my unprofessional opinion!

The mount in your photo looks like a pedestal... it's hard to tell. How big is your bull? You only have a few options to mount a big bull. Straight, 90, very slight turn or head down. Here's a 90 I just finished... Ed F

post-522-0-51827200-1486613824_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The mount in your photo looks like a pedestal... it's hard to tell. How big is your bull? You only have a few options to mount a big bull. Straight, 90, very slight turn or head down. Here's a 90 I just finished... Ed F

I thought that was one of those cheesy outdoor picture wallpaper backgrounds the elk was in front of and was thinking to myself "dang that background looks realistic!" Then I saw the leg of the pedestal off the edge of the concrete and realized it was real!!

• Like 3