Sign in to follow this  
hunter01

Daughter takes her first archery Javi***UPDATED***

My daughter Hunter really loves hunting. She has been pretty successful in her first five years of hunting. Last year she wanted to try taking a javelina with her bow. Getting on several javis at close range, she became frustrated not being able to get a shot in the thick cover. This year she wanted to try it again. We hunted an area that was a little more open where she could get an arrow off. We got to the area early and were able to locate a group of five heading to a known bedding area. We double timed it to get in front of them and still keeping the wind right. We were able to get to an ambush spot as the javi's worked their way to the bedding area. As we looked them over, one stood out that was significantly much bigger than the others. She locked on the big one and drew back undetected. The big one was quartering towards us at twenty yards. She took the shot and hit inside the left shoulder. It startled the herd and the big one stood, looking at the fletched shaft sticking out of its chest. It was bleeding profusely. Before I could tell her to shoot again, I see another arrow go through the same shoulder. The massive javi took three steps and rolled over, kicked it's back feet a couple times an was done. The entire event was over in thirty seconds. The javi was a massive boar with well worn molars and very large tusks. We guessed it was close to eighty pounds on the hoof. It field dressed at 66.5 pounds. After gutting this thug, we found that the second arrow punched the top half of it heart. Green measurements on this guy are just over 15". I'm guessing this 15 year old is gonna be hooked on bow hunting for many years to come. Sorry, pics are sideways, tried to fix that, no dice on that.

post-1839-0-15675600-1486772550_thumb.jpeg

post-1839-0-67813600-1486772585_thumb.jpeg

post-1839-0-89145400-1486772621_thumb.jpeg

post-1839-0-88493400-1486772641_thumb.jpeg

post-1839-0-08618200-1486772663_thumb.jpeg

• Like 11

Awesome job, i don't think I would have had the patience to keep at it when I was 15. I expect I would have grabbed a rifle after my first failed attempt with a bow.

• Like 2

Congratulations to your daughter on one of the biggest pigs I've ever saw. Thanks for the story and the pictures. You certainly are blessed to be hunting with your daughter. :)

TJ

• Like 2

Wow that's a big pig! And your daughters name is also Hunter? That's cool.

I shot a deer right through the heart once. He stayed so calm and slowly walked off I thought I missed. Never was able to pop off a second arrow because I couldn't see strait from the adrenaline. When I opened him up and found the heart I couldn't believe it.

• Like 1

We recently had Hunter's javelina officially scored for the Bow Hunting in Arizona Record book. It scored 15" even after the drying period. Looking at the BIA record book, this should place it at 5th place(tie) in the Archery book. She is pretty happy as this was her first archery javi. and we are hoping it will be a contender in the Bi-annual awards.

Congratulations to your Daughter!!

• Like 1