Sign in to follow this  
elkhunter

2017 Ham Javelina

Long story made short, glasses up 3 pigs over a mile out, something scared them and they ran down a canyon and out of sight. We figured we'd leave them alone and chase them tomorrow. There's a large chunk of private land between us and the pigs so it wasn't wise to make the long hike around the private land to chase spooked pigs. We moved farther up the canyon and glassed for other herds, dad was glassing the spot we found pigs earlier in the day, at this point it was like 2 miles and javelina were just a speck of dust moving around in the swaros. We decided to go for it, after an hour hike we got closer, nothing. We worked our way down to where we last saw them. Quickly learned that you can't see anything in the scope when a pig is 7 yards away. I had to eyeball it and when I shot I hit the dirt a few feet infront of the pig. Pretty bad. They scattered and was able to make a clean harvest at 54 yards.

post-536-0-56287800-1486785286_thumb.jpg

post-536-0-51915400-1486785337_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Congrats on the pig and having your dad along for the hunt too. I shot my very first pig with an early model contender in 223 at about the same distance, knocked it off it's feet, DRT.

It had a 1.5X TC Scope which was perfect.

Congratulations on your pig and having dad along had to be a bonus and a great memory. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

Congratulations again buddy on making short work of that pig! Way to go.