Havasuhunter

Waterfowl Gun for next year

I got back in to waterfowl in a very minor way this year. Got one goose, some mallards and a variety of divers.

I know one thing, I'd like to not have a shiny blued gloss walnut stock gun with me next year. Just used my BPS this last year.

Would like to buy a reasonably priced waterfowl pump or auto. I know this has been discussed over and over but being off season, figured I'd throw a post up here.

I had a Beneli SBE 2 that I regret selling a couple years ago, but needed the money. Not looking to buy anything that expensive right now.

Looking for suggestions and if anyone has anything decent for sale.

Thanks

I researched the Stoeger M3500 (Stoeger is a subsidiary of Benelli) this past year based upon a recommendation from Big Browns and ended up getting one. I have been extremely impressed. It has shot and cycled everything I have put through it from 2.75" to 3.5" without fail. I think it would be very hard to beat it in a semi auto for under $1000 (it retails for around $600-$700). I have let a couple friends/family member in the market try mine. They all ended up getting one

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Stoeger-Model-Semiautomatic-Shotguns/1229634.uts

• Like 3

I was in the same predicament 2 years ago. I eventually decided on a Beretta A300 in Max-5. More specifically because I'm a lefty shooter. You can make adjustments to the stock and swap the safety to the left side. Great gun, lightweight and never a jam. I use it for ducks, quail, turkey and dove. Gunbroker.com had great prices, no tax. Small FFL fee.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

Yotebuster, nothing wrong at all with my BPS except it's shiny. I'd just like to get a matte/camo gun again for waterfowl and also Turkeys, preferably an auto too. I hunt turkey once every few years in CA on my buddies private property. That old BPS has been a flawless gun for many years.

Thanks everyone.

Yotebuster, nothing wrong at all with my BPS except it's shiny. I'd just like to get a matte/camo gun again for waterfowl and also Turkeys, preferably an auto too. I hunt turkey once every few years in CA on my buddies private property. That old BPS has been a flawless gun for many years.

Spray paint or dip the BPS. Absolutely no need for a new gun. If you're comfortable with a BPS then keep shooting it. Don't fall for the 3.5" hype. I waterfowl hunt 50-70 days a year and haven't shot a 3.5" shell since the day they came out. I've actually switched to 2 3/4" for most of my waterfowl needs. Smaller shot is key. I shoot steel 6's and 7's for most duck hunting and 3's and 4's for snows, honkers and cranes. Speed is king. Get a good fast steel load that patterns well ina 2 3/4 or 3 " and spray paint the BPS if it makes you feel better. If you truly just want a new gun cuz you want a new gun then make sure you shoot a couple before you buy. They are all very reliable these days (except Turkish shiite and Browning's) but they all point very differently so make sure you find one that fits.

Thanks everyone.

Spray paint or dip the BPS. Absolutely no need for a new gun. If you're comfortable with a BPS then keep shooting it. Don't fall for the 3.5" hype. I waterfowl hunt 50-70 days a year and haven't shot a 3.5" shell since the day they came out. I've actually switched to 2 3/4" for most of my waterfowl needs. Smaller shot is key. I shoot steel 6's and 7's for most duck hunting and 3's and 4's for snows, honkers and cranes. Speed is king. Get a good fast steel load that patterns well ina 2 3/4 or 3 " and spray paint the BPS if it makes you feel better. If you truly just want a new gun cuz you want a new gun then make sure you shoot a couple before you buy. They are all very reliable these days (except Turkish shiite and Browning's) but they all point very differently so make sure you find one that fits.

I want t to have 2 12 gauges anyway so I have a backup. I won't buy a 3.5", I have no reason for it. Nothing you can't kill with 3" shells. Matter a fact, I think I have some 3.5" turkey loads sitting around I need to trade or sell. If I buy a 3.5" chambered gun it will be because I found a deal or just felt right.

In a similar situation, I went with the Franchi Affinity last year from an 870. I am very happy with it. Quick and easy to clean, spits out anything I put in it, not a Benelli but half the price and nearly all the gun, arguably. Give it a serious consideration if you liked your SBE II.

• Like 1

For cheap reliable pump, you can't beat the 870.

For auto's, I'm currently shooting a Beretta A300, great gun for the money.... might cerakote it next year as I tend to abuse my duck guns and it is not blued. Have put several cases of duck loads through it in pretty nasty locations without one hang up. If I was in the market for a gun that would compare with your SBEII but didn't want to spend SBE II money, I'd probably look around for a like new Beretta Xtrema or Xtrema 2, arguably one of the best waterfowl guns ever made... 3.5" chamber as well, if you do someday want to chase geese or turkeys (no need for 3.5" for ducks). I've seen some go for around $800 on GunBroker. Honestly though, the way gun manufacturing has improved... if you're shopping new and keep your price point around $700 or higher you're going to get a quality auto. Franchi, Stoeger, Benelli, Beretta, Winchester, etc. are all going to make a reliable weapon at that price point... just a matter of fit, finish, and longer warranties the higher up you go.

• Like 2

A Remington 11-87 sp, from the late 80's, has served me well for many years now.

I keep it clean, wet, and change the O ring every year.

Never misses a lick.