Sign in to follow this  
MuggyMan

Who you calling "Senior"?

A few years back, I was ordering some fast food (no fast food since January 1st as I'm on the program)... anyway I was ordering and the girl behind the counter says, "We have a senior cup." I looked at her and said, "Who you calling senior?"

I turn 58 this year, and the fact is I'm starting to feel it. I tell people that other than the gravel in my left shoulder, and the ruptured disc at T12/L1, and my worn out knees and arthritic joints, I feel pretty good. When I have my weight down, the young guys have a hard time keeping up with me, but it's getting harder to keep my weight down. If I don't eat clean, the pounds pack on fast. I was doing arms at the gym a couple weeks ago, doing crossover curls, feeling really friggin good, and I feel something pull in my elbow, and the elbow has been sore since. Talked to a physical therapist friend and she says it sounds like tennis elbow. Not doing any lifts/movements that stress that elbow.

I hate it, but am admitting to myself that I just can't hit it as hard as I used too. It's frustrating though because going hard is the only way I know how to go. Finding myself thinking about things like structural integrity and correcting imbalances and changing my fitness program, trying to figure out how to still go hard while keeping it in check to a point that I'm not setting myself up for further injury.

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing from other 55+ on your experiences and adjustments you've made and what works.

I'm 25 years your junior but have had tennis elbow since high-school. Hurts like heck at the beginning of every workout, but once you get a few sets in, it loosens (or numbs) up.

Good job keeping up with workouts! Keep after it!

• Like 1

Here's a few things I see working for other seniors...

Cut out the carbs and watch those calories. Maybe download a calorie counting app..

Smaller portions at meal time

Cut out the snacking on any unhealthy foods and drink plenty of water. Sometimes when I'm feeling a little hungry, I reach for the water and when I do snack, it's healthy and minimal to hold me over till the next meal time.

• Like 1

Cut out the carbs and watch those calories. Maybe download a calorie counting app..

Cut out the snacking on any unhealthy foods and drink plenty of water. Sometimes when I'm feeling a little hungry, I reach for the water and when I do snack, it's healthy and minimal to hold me over till the next meal time.

Thanks for the feedback, Tim. I'm getting the nutrition part figured out. Too bad we're on opposite sides of the valley, or we could get together and train martial arts.

• Like 1

I'm 25 years your junior but have had tennis elbow since high-school. Hurts like heck at the beginning of every workout, but once you get a few sets in, it loosens (or numbs) up.

Good job keeping up with workouts! Keep after it!

You wear a support or brace on your elbow when working out?

I'm 64 and in relatively great shape. No chronic problems 5'9 and 185, eat pretty healthy. Don't go to the gym or exercise much never had any sports injuries and am fairly active. Have all my own parts, not hip or knee replacements (so far).

A lot of it is genetics but we shouldn't fool ourselves about keeping our weigh reasonable and eating healthy. Now muscle strength with take some strain off of your joints and from what I have seen a regular exercise routine really helps a lot. A couple of months ago I hiked Camelback Mountain with a friend who is about 20 years my junior and an avid hiker and it was tough keeping up with him. I met a guy ten years my senior who does it twice a day.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, Tim. I'm getting the nutrition part figured out. Too bad we're on opposite sides of the valley, or we could get together and train martial arts.

That would be awesome. Would greatly benefit from having someone to spar and practice techniques with. Pretty tough doing joint locks and disarming imaginary foes.

I'll drive to your house once or twice a week then vice versa?

That would be awesome. Would greatly benefit from having someone to spar and practice techniques with. Pretty tough doing joint locks and disarming imaginary foes.

Are you guys going to do Karate in the garage?

I have key to a dojo on my side.

Cross streets? I drove across town for years to practice under a Kenpo sensei at Germann and Alma School.

CWT fight club, I like it.

Hang with and and hose Younger women. At 60 thats what i have Learned. They love older guys............BOB!

Cross streets? I drove across town for years to practice under a Kenpo sensei at Germann and Alma School.

CWT fight club, I like it.

That's right around the corner from where I live. Dojo at Warner and Alma School.

Hang with and and hose Younger women. At 60 thats what i have Learned. They love older guys............BOB!

I'm married so that's probably not a good idea.

I am old too. Up until I tore my rotator cuff I had religiously worked out both with weights and cardio most of my life. But as I have aged arthritis has set in and all the dumb stuff I did in my younger days has caught up. I used to bench press about 330 lbs. Now I can't get my arm raised up shoulder high.

My metabolism has slowed and I pack on weight quick. It doesn't come off very well either. I have recently gone back on a diet to attempt to dump 15 lbs and even with a bad shoulder and arthritic knees have made a commitment to get in shape again. There are a lot of exercises that I can't do but there are a lot that I can. Anything is better than nothing.

It's a bitch getting old but the alternative doesn't excite me much :blink:

Muggy, to her you were a senior. Or maybe she said senor. Now that she is making the big bucks $10 /hour she doesnt have to be so polite to her senor.

" Why dont you be a little more polite, throw down that old iron and we will be on our way".

• Like 1