lancetkenyon

6.5-06 AI or .280 AI? What would YOU build?

36 members have voted

1. 1. Rebarrel choice for a lighter weight all around big game (deer/antelope/elk). .280 AI or 6.5-06 AI?

• 6.5-06AI pushing a 140 @ 3150ish
    • .280 AI pushing a 160/168 @ 2950-3000ish

I am in the planning stages of a rebarrel on one of my rifles. Trued R700 LA, BDL, standard .473 bolt face. It is in a Manners EH1 carbon fiber stock, and currently wears a 28" #5 Shilen barrel that has been on it for 15 or so years, with a lot of miles and hot rounds down the barrel. Depending on the mid-winter draws, I am thinking of rebarrelling it. It is currently a 25-06AI that I have used for a long time on deer. Pushes a 115 HVLD @ 3400. But I am looking at stepping up the horsepower a bit while lightening it up as well. It is an 11#+ rifle right now with that heavy barrel and scope on it. I am looking at losing about 1.5-2 lbs. after the diet. The scope will get me about 8-10oz, and the barrel should get me a full 1# when I swap to a 26" Proof Research.

I already have two short action 6.5mm rifles.

A 15# 6.5 SLR that pushes a 140 @ 2840 (target load) or 2950 (hunting load), or a 127 LRX @ 3050fps.

A 10.5# .260 Rem that pushes a 140 @ 2860, or a 127 LRX @ 3000fps.

I also already have a 7mm rifle.

A 9.5# 7 Rem Mag that pushes a 180 Hybrid @ 2995fps.

So my question is what would you guys do for a hopefully 9# carry rifle? It will mostly be used for deer, as I really want to take elk in the future with my late father-in-laws reworked 7RM that I got last year.

A 6.5-06AI w. 1:8" twist and go for a 140 @ 3100-3150+ or 127 LRX @ 3200-3250?

A .280AI w. 1:9" twist and go for a 160/168 @ 2950-3000 or a 145 LRX @ 3150-3200?

I was set on the 6.5-06AI for a while, but have always loved the .280AI. Not worried about reloading or the need for fire-forming, I have that covered. It won't ever see a factory round down the pipe.

The 6.5 would be fine for deer and antelope a long ways out, but the .280AI would allow heavier bullets to be shot if I ever want to take it out or loan it to my kids for elk. I know, I know, the 6.5-06AI should be plenty for elk, but I prefer a little more bullet weight for bulls.

I'd lean .280 Ackley Lance. Bit better choices for elk...

Also factory brass or can form Lapua...

I run Nosler brass in my .280 Ackley and it's pretty decent...

I am a fan of both. Each cartridge fills a pretty small niche in your line up though. Not really much you could do with either one that you couldn't do with one of your 6.5's and your 7mm mag, I also know you got the big 30's covered as well. That being said I would say you have elk and deer pretty well covered up. I would seriously consider keeping a 25 in the line up or even a hot rod 6mm of some sort. That way you have the varmints to deer spectrum covered up as well. You can get pretty creative and do a 257 Roberts improved which would give you 25-06 performance in a nice efficient package. 7x57 Ackley would also be a nice option in a 7mm with performance very similar to the .280 in an efficient package as well.

For myself the 280 AI hands down.

Since you already have a few in the 6.5s, 7mm, 300rum. Why not try something in the 270s. Like a 270wby or 270Al, but if it's between the 2 listed. I'd do the 280Al

I love my 6.5 calibers but it's hard to beat a 280 AI. Get the 280 lance.

At one time I made the same decision in compact form, .260 AI or 7mm-08 AI. In the end I went with the 7mm because I was building a rifle for deer to elk and felt the 7 had the advantage here with the ability to use heavier bullets. I also felt that the 7mm would not be likely to loose as much performance as the .260 in the short 20" barrel I intended to use.

Lance-- I initially voted .280ai when I saw 'elk' on the list of game. But once you said that you will use your rebuilt 7RM (great thread in and of itself) I went back and voted 6.5-06AI.

A 140 or even a 147 ELD-M scooting at 3000+ will be plenty good medicine for deer, antelope, etc.

You will love that proof barrel. I built a 7 RUM that is under 10lbs scoped and loaded with a 26" sendero contour barrel. I went with heavier Mark 4 base and rings and a big brake, neither of which I guess you will need on that build.

How much life is left in that 25/06 barrel and what are you doin with it?? .... dibs?

Can't go wrong with either...coin flip.

If I was in your shoes, with the available rifles you listed, I would look at my options thusly: Do I want a 6.5 that is lighter weight (than my fast 6.5) and shoots faster (than my light weight 6.5) than my other current 6.5's, or do I want a .280AI loaner rifle for bull elk that is similar in weight to my current 7RM, just slightly slower? If I already had a suitable loaner elk rifle, then I'd go the 6.5-06AI. If not, I'd get the loaner rifle.

Bullet selection cripples the .257" and .277"...

Exactly. I wish Berger made a .257 130 HVLD.

Yeah, it would be nice to have a heavier bullet for sure but I have yet to see anything live through the 115.

"but have always loved the .280AI"

"or loan it to my kids for elk. I know, I know, the 6.5-06AI should be plenty for elk, but I prefer a little more bullet weight for bulls."

Sounds like the 280AI is calling. It would be my vote of the 2.