phillyphan

How do you pick your arrows?

Hello Everyone,

Just picked up a use Mathews Creed and had to change the cam out to get the draw length to fit me. I was wondering how you determine what type of arrow you need to get as far as spine and grain goes. My draw length is 29" and draw weight is 63lbs at this time. I use to shoot Gold Tip 400s with 100 grain when I had a PSE, but that was when I pulled around 55lbs. Thanks for any input.

• Like 1

When in doubt go stiffer

What creed said.

Also-- Gold Tip website has a great KE and velocity calculator that I would use to 'test' your possible arrow combinations to decide on what you want.

Thanks for the heads up. I actually went with the Gold Tip Hunter Pro 340. I got a deal I couldn't pass up, so I'll give them a try once they get in. Thanks again for all the help.

First see what the chart says and pick your spine. mine are 340

Second pick your grains per inch for total shaft weight. 9.5 around 420 grains

Third Front of Center-anything over 10% is good and anything between 10-13% is great. Mine 13%

Fourth Spin test- vane choice and broadheads. I have a spinner. I had 3 different vanes choices. I have 4 different broadheads depending on game. If one spins bad I square them until they spin right but one out of a dozen don't spin right no matter what.

5th- Shoot'm and see what happens. Paper tune! I've had all the generations of axis arrows with slight differences to add more weight, FOC and flight to get what I need. All of them have shot bullets with the different setups.

Hopefully your arrows fly straight for you!

Charts are a good place to start so you can get an idea of what to look for. Selecting arrows can be a lengthy process though. Personally I like to get 3-4 different arrows (dif brands, gpi's, and spine) and shoot all of them a good amount of times and pay attention to their flight and impact. ATM I have settled on GoldTip hunter XT 340's after shooting the 400's for over a year.