Lv2hnt

Fair Chase in Arizona ...

So, the issue of bow hunting within 1/4 mile of an occupied building has already been cussed and discussed on another CWT thread ...

Two other things (technology-wise) G&F is presented with > 1) drones and 2) trail cameras.

The use of drones by the hunting fraternity has already been clamped down on by G&F departments in other states. Probably more to come here on that too, and rightly so (I think back to the '80s and guys flying chute planes).

On another note, Ariz. G&F might be looking at the placement of trail cameras near water holes, catchment/drinkers, or the like --- maybe a 1/4 mile buffer? I never used a trail camera until 3 years ago --- hate to think I contributed to the problem. ???

I use trailcams, and love using them. Its alot of fun for me and the kids to see what wildlife is around locally, and it assists in scouting and no doubt increases odds of success to some degree, depending on the hunt and area this can really increase odds of success a large amount. The only big problems I see are the very very popular water sources for certain elk and mule deer areas that we all are familiar with and hear about that have many trailcams on them. This begins to affect the animals natural behavior, people checking cams every day all day, and because there is so much traffic at the water source, they begin to change their habits, people start fighting over who can sit the water etc. I don't have a solution for it, but it seems like a huge over-reaction if they were to say no trailcam on water in the whole state. If they do consider or pass a rule, it would be interesting to see if they say only during hunting season that you cannot, or if it is any time ever.

• Like 3

It was only a matter of time. 20+ cameras on every water source in units 9 and 13a/b is the reason for this I'm sure.

• Like 4

It was only a matter of time. 20+ cameras on every water source in units 9 and 13a/b is the reason for this I'm sure.

I agree. There comes a time when their hand is forced.

Can the game wardens do arial surveys and then go hunt after locating a trophy? How is that different than drone?

• Like 1

I do agree 100% that drones should not be used in any aspect of hunting though.

• Like 2

True, Blake. I'd imagine more detailed regs concerning drones coming down the pike. See page 56 in 2016-17 Ariz. Hunting Regs for current G&F stance ...

a lot of G&F information about wildlife comes from trail cameras - which they bait

an option to a ban is limiting the # of cameras a guide / person can use in the field -

all cameras must show currant information as to owner etc .

no more than 1 camera per hunter at any given tank or same location

on a side note - it does SUCK when you are hunting / sitting water and a guy comes in at prime time to check his camera

• Like 3

I don't like more laws and prefer the use of common sense.

Seems like the idea of staying away from "water" is a healthy approach and yet for many parts of AZ water comes and it goes so it could be a tricky law to enforce/abide by.

Seeps, springs and such that are sometimes not known to many hunters can be really fun to set cams on and get great pictures. Sometimes there is water there and sometimes not!

I am not a fan of trail cams on tanks or sitting tanks for hunting purposes but that is just my own hunting preference.

post-2034-0-19751000-1489010981.jpg

This is a buck we chased for 3 years in a very remote part of AZ and the tall grass he is standing in is a seep spring. We hunted there because we had pictures of this buck on trail cam but we never got a shot at this buck in three years of looking for him!(horrible hunters)

We thoroughly enjoyed checking the cams as a family, but as remote as this is I still lost two cameras that were at this same seep.

Fun times, I sure hate to see them law this up........

This has been brewing for several years. You can thank all the guides up on The Strip. 15+ cameras on every water hole up there.

a lot of G&F information about wildlife comes from trail cameras - which they bait

an option to a ban is limiting the # of cameras a guide / person can use in the field -

all cameras must show currant information as to owner etc .

no more than 1 camera per hunter at any given tank or same location

on a side note - it does SUCK when you are hunting / sitting water and a guy comes in at prime time to check his camera

Nearly everything you said is not enforceable. They have no idea how many cameras a guy is using in the woods especially when he will just put different names on each camera. People don't usually put more than one camera at a tank anyway. With trail cameras the only option is either a complete ban, setting a certain distance from water they can be, or leaving it as it is now. I think for the average Hunter banning them isn't gonna cause an issue but the big losers in the deal will be guides and outfitters and those that have the time and money to run a bunch of cameras all year.

I agree that natural water sources should be okay. It's the man-made and maintained water sources where the problem lies.

• Like 2

I agree that natural water sources should be okay. It's the man-made and maintained water sources where the problem lies.

Agreed. Or maybe even make a rule no cameras near water holes within a certain distance from a road. Most man made tanks and trick tanks are right off a road. Most natural water sources are a little ways in from a road and the tanks everyone puts cameras all over are usually easy walking and that's where most guys sit. I think either way if they do some ban regarding distance from water the strip cameras will pretty much be obsolete.