Sign in to follow this  
HUNTnTAT2

Arrow setup for Elk

Easton axis 400 spine with 100 gr. G5 Montec, 28" 70 pounds draw weight. I believe it chronos at 280 fps. I've shot two elk, one at 25 and the other just over 30 with both being full pass through double lung shots.

Any tuning issues? According to the charts you are a bit weak on spine. I have the same shafts and length but my draw weight is much lower due to several (3) surgeries on my shoulder. I'm currently working my draw weight back up and was just curious where my limit might be with these shafts.

Cabela's Stalker 340

29.25 inches

Blazer vanes

125 gr G5 striker

55 lb draw

2015 45 yard pass through, bull went 5 yards, stopped then dropped.

2013 55 yard pass through, but a little far back. Bull stopped at 83 yards and another pass through right in the boiler room.

Tuning will beat draw weight every time.

Easton axis 400 spine with 100 gr. G5 Montec, 28" 70 pounds draw weight. I believe it chronos at 280 fps. I've shot two elk, one at 25 and the other just over 30 with both being full pass through double lung shots.

Any tuning issues? According to the charts you are a bit weak on spine. I have the same shafts and length but my draw weight is much lower due to several (3) surgeries on my shoulder. I'm currently working my draw weight back up and was just curious where my limit might be with these shafts.

That is what I thought. At 70lbs should be 340's but if it works go with it.
  • Like 1

Easton FMJ 400's

Grave Digger COC or Wac'em XL 100gr

440gr total

27.5" @ 64#

Blazers helical

Shooting 280fps

Since I'm not hunting elk this year I may switch to Easton Axis, lower my overall weight and increase FOC

post-5874-0-22323700-1490222383_thumb.jpg

That is what I thought. At 70lbs should be 340's but if it works go with it.

My bad it is 340's. It's been so long since I've bought arrows I barely remember haha

• Like 1

Anyone shooting vap arrows? I am also setting up for elk for the first time in almost 10 years.

Interested to see what others are saying here.

I'm still working on my set up but I will be shooting VAPs on my elk hunt. I shot them on my January couse hunt not sure on the arrow weight but was using a 100gr rocket steelhead and blew through my buck twice. There a awesome deadly combo. I may shoot the rockets or Ramcats for elk with the Vaps

Never shot VAPs, I have shot several varieties of Black Eagle and I absolutely love their microdiameter shafts.

I think it is hard to beat their Deep Impact; minimize wind drift, but a nice heavy shaft at 11gpi (300 spine).

Obsession Defcon M7

29"/73lb

Deep Impact 300

2" blazers

125gr Slick Tricks or 125gr Swhacker

I suggest you search & read up on or look up youtube videos on Dr. ED Ashby's research regarding arrow weight, EFOC, & single bevel broadheads.

Update

Decided to go with Black eagle deep impacts. 300 spine .001 straightness

11 gpi.

AAE stealth Fletched up some in 4 fletch right helical and 3 fletch right to see what my bow likes.

The came out at 500 grains even with a 100 grain BH. 525 with 125 grain BH.

11% FOC

285 fps with 125grain bh

293 fps with 100 grain bh

95# of KE

Pse evolve 35

30" draw

72# pull

Building your own arrows is pretty awesome and quite relaxing.

• Like 1

Anyone shooting vap arrows? I am also setting up for elk for the first time in almost 10 years.

Interested to see what others are saying here.

I run VAP 250s elite. Really like them. Killed a nice bull a couple years ago and plan on the same this year.

Just shot one of those black eagle deep impacts into a block wall on accident(rest tuning @ 40yrds in the wind) the only damage to the arrow was the knock flew out. Found it and put it back it. Flexed the arrow for safety and checked it over. Shot it through a fletch on another arrow. So far super impressed with these shafts.

• Like 1