Sign in to follow this  
Big Browns

My son doesn't want to go Elk Hunting!!!

Prior to putting my son in for Elk I asked if he wanted to go Elk Hunting this year. He said "yes". I was VERY excited to see he had a pending cc hit for a junior cow hunt. Tonight he informed me he doesn't want to go Elk Hunting. The only reason he gave me was "it's too far". The hunt is only 1 1/2 hours away! I didn't expect him to be super excited, but I didn't expect him to not want to go. I love my son, but he is very spoiled and has no idea how good he has it.

I'm officially devistated!!!!!!

He'll come around. Take him to the elk woods this summer and scout together. Kids have a short attention span. As October gets closer, I'm sure the excitement will follow.

• Like 5

He'll come around. Take him to the elk woods this summer and scout together. Kids have a short attention span. As October gets closer, I'm sure the excitement will follow.

Exactly my thought. A couple good scouting trips will get the fire lit for him.

How old is he?

• Like 1

You can't force em. My oldest son loved camping , fishing, hunting all thorugh his younger yrs. got to be a teenager and wanted nothin to do with it. At 15 he said he wanted to put in for deer. Got drawn and was unsuccessful. Next yr gor drawn again and killed his first deer. Thought for sure he'd be hooked but next yr didn't even wanna put in.

• Like 2

All you can do is offer. Don't force him. Kids go through different stages. He will come around. I have been through it. Stay supportive and enjoy all the time with him or her regardless of what it is.

• Like 2

Prior to putting my son in for Elk I asked if he wanted to go Elk Hunting this year. He said "yes". I was VERY excited to see he had a pending cc hit for a junior cow hunt. Tonight he informed me he doesn't want to go Elk Hunting. The only reason he gave me was "it's too far". The hunt is only 1 1/2 hours away! I didn't expect him to be super excited, but I didn't expect him to not want to go. I love my son, but he is very spoiled and has no idea how good he has it.

I'm officially devistated!!!!!!

Where did he put in for?
  • Like 1

Have a friend of his go scouting and maybe a camping trip. Sometime it helps when a young man feels cool in front of friends, also get an elk target and let him shot at in the back yard with a bb gun. I have a 21 yr old named Hunter and for awhile I called him princesses, thank god he grew out of it . glad mine are all grown up, wait until you get those problems

• Like 5

Man that's a bummer, I have the opposite problem my kids would never do any hunting or fishing unless I initiate but ounce we get out they have a great time. My son got drawn with his grandfather for their first ever elk hunt and when I told him he had zero reaction. I was discouraged but 3 generations in the woods together again with elk tags this time I will risk dragging him out and maybe him not wanting to be there. I suspect if we can find some elk he will be all pumped up like their deer hunt a few years ago. Don't worry too much just try to get him scouting and planning for the hunt and he doesn't change then donate the tag to one of the other kids or anonymous.

• Like 2

Dang that's rough. I also agree about not forcing him to go. Taking him and maybe a friend out on a couple easy going scouting/camping trips might help get him in the mood. If he likes to fish and there fishing close by you can always turn it into a fishing hunting trip. My kids like to hunt for about an hour or two but can fish all day if the fish are biting. Good luck.

• Like 3

I wish I could say I followed the advice of "don't push him" and "don't force it", but I did the exact opposite with my son when he was 7. I had the archery elk tag in 6B and asked him to go deer hunting with me to scout for my hunt. At first he said yes all week and then, when it was time to gear up, he decided to be his usual homebody, despite his older sister encouraging him to go and telling him how much fun he'd have. He and I had a knock-down drag out argument right there in the garage. I threatened to ground him for a week and take away everything he cared about for the rest of the weekend. Parenting fail, right?? He ended up going with me and we hiked the half-mile into the stock tank I was scouting. We sat in an oak thicket and pulled dead oak twigs off the tree next to us and had light saber fights for two hours. It was so hot, I wasn't worried about the commotion, but I'd stop and look/listen every so often. As it was getting closer to sunset, we bagged it early and hiked back up to the truck. On the drive home, we passed a big herd of elk off the side of the road and he got to see the herd bull in my binos. After that night, he has bugged me every season to go and he couldn't wait to take hunter ed when he turned nine. He got a 100% on his test this past February and hugged me in front of the whole class. Now he's chomping at the bit to get out! I knew then and I know now it wasn't the best approach, but I took a gamble on the personality I knew. It paid off, but I got lucky.

Like others have said, start the scouting trips and make them fun. I'll bet he comes around If you're near Flagstaff and want some help, I can grab my son and try meet up with you, unless I'm off scouting for my daughter's bull tag!

• Like 5

Oh it will change. I promise you that. Dang kids. They toy with our hunting emotions.

• Like 1

Brown, you can adopt me and I will go, I promise...

Like IA I too have "made" mine go, but only when they had previously said they would. I always give them the choice, but once they say yes, I require them to uphold their integrity(kicking and screaming sometimes). Also like Ia, mine have never regretted going. It is just the act of GOING that is difficult for them to accept. BEING there is awesome. Always.

It will work out for you. Have faith.

• Like 3

Adam, DNA testing might be required. Just kidding. My oldest boy took to it like a duck to water and I tried to get my girls to go. My daughters had no interest in hunting and I didn't push it. I took them on some turkey hunts/camping trips and got them excited about it. When my youngest daughter was almost 10, she said she was ready to take Hunter's Safety and put in. The 14 and 12 year old daughters decided they wanted to also. I think they changed their minds from the fun they had at the Mentored Turkey camps. A bunch of other kids to play around with during the non-hunting. 2 of the 3 girls have harvested animals and the 3rd hopes to seal the deal on this next turkey hunt.

• Like 2