Sign in to follow this  
DUG

Got my 1st archery bull tag. Need equipment advice

It really does depend on the unit your hunting. Last year I had a tag and I logged in over 30 days in the field scouting. I had found my target bull 3 days before the opener and I sat on him dark to dark watching his every move. On opening day the stalk didn't work out and we continued watching him till dark. On day 2 I moved in on him and busted him. My buddies were able to keep glass on him and I stayed up on the mountain the whole day under a tree 200 yds away from him while he was bedded. It was the longest day in the field I can remember. I stayed there until he got up for the evening and I was able to move in on him and get him down.

Typically I would chase bugles in the morning running and gunning to get in front of them and sit water in the evenings. The best advice I can give you is know your equipment and practice, practice practice.

• Like 4

2 or 3 Pairs of good boots, gortex for the morning and plenty of socks, sore wet feet will defeat ..

• Like 1

What about clothes? Did you go wash clothes in town or take enough with you? Do you guys recommend using scent killer spray? Anybody hunt in running shoes?

Thanks for all the replies so far!

My partner and I used to always hunt 1 & 27 for archery deer. He likes to wear running shoes. The grass up there is deep and can be very wet in the morning. He often had to switch out for waterproof boots.

I always take some scent free soap, a bucket and clothes line and wash clothes in camp if needed.

• Like 1

as far as clothes, I wash mine in ozone.

I have a large tote that halls my gear that I hot glued some binder clips to the lid. this allows me to hang my shirts and pants from the lid for maximum surface area exposure to the ozone.

I then run a Scent Purge 50 ozone generator that I put in a small container with a 12volt computer fan on the lid and holes in the side and wired that to the 12v line that runs the generator.

This allows the air/ozone to circulate in the tote ensuring maximum ozone exposure.

I hunted 1.5 weeks in the same pants and shirts changing only underwear and socks.

When I got home I asked my wife if the clothes I wore the whole time stunk, she said "no not at all, but I sure did"...

the key is getting back to camp and getting them off and in the ozone for at least an hour to remove any body odor.

I do not believe in ozone while hunting like ozonics, I think that is a bunch of BS, but to remove odor from clothing it works great. just don't put anything with rubber elastic in the ozone as it will eat it.

will this keep them from smelling you 100%? NO not at all you still need to work the wind, and your body odor is still prevalent, but it helps keep that body odor from saturating your clothes and will reduce your scent profile.

I had cow elk feeding at 5 yards with thermaling wind swirls twice for almost 10 minutes.

• Like 2

Always. Kneeling down, angles, pretty much whatever you can imagine in the field you would do or come across, try to replicate it.

• Like 1

Ok, since we are talking about all this good stuff. What GPS does everybody use? I have an older SporTrak Color. I have not loaded any maps to it other than what came on it.

Anybody practice shooting with your pack on?

Also practice holding bow back as long as you can, let down slowly and draw again.

Yes what B/C said definatly practice holding your bow back as long as you can, then let off do it again then let off do it again but this time shoot just before your too tired.

do this a bunch of times through out the year. you will be surprised how your arrows hit and how better you will get over the year.

Daughter learned this the hard way last year. decent bull she drew back 3 times. when the bull finally got out of the bushs and a decent shot she was beat. in a way it was a good thing he moved back into the brush before she shot cause it would have been a poor shot forsure. she even commented on she was glad he moved and she didnt take the shot.

shes a target shooter so she lets off often,but when your Adrenalin is going and your heart is in your throat its a whole nother ball game.

Iv'e hunted all my life in tennis shoes mainly cause they are quiet. went through 2 pairs last elk season. this year going to carry tennis shoes and wear boots, then change when we start stalking. my feet just cant take it anymore.

Ok, since we are talking about all this good stuff. What GPS does everybody use? I have an older SporTrak Color. I have not loaded any maps to it other than what came on it.

I have been very happy with my garmin oregon. Lots of free maps available and I can sync it with my other gps unit and my computer. I pop it into a ram holder when I ride my quad then tether it to my pack while hiking.

Or I just use the sun and a stick.

• Like 1

If you want to get a little more specific let us know what tag you have. Hunt unit and early vs. late archery could require a lot of different supplies. Are you tent camping, RV,?

1) Practice everyday and get used to holding at least 1 minute and still hitting your target. Also practice letting down slowly.

2) Practice with your pack on and a fully loaded quiver.

I shot my bull the second morning and in a way wish I would have hunted longer because it is AWESOME! Still think about it everyday.

• Like 2

One little thing I do that not a lot of people I know do is practice shooting my bow with a full quiver minus 1 arrow. My quiver fits 5 arrows so I leave 4 in there at all times when practicing, that way the bow is weighted and balanced exactly as it would be in the field on a first shot opportunity. Easy to do and works for me. I'm surprised more people don't do it

• Like 2

I'm in 7W. Early archery bull. I'm staying at a friends cabin in the unit. I'm open to a night or 2 of camping if weather is good. Thanks for all the tips so far!