Sign in to follow this  
DUG

Got my 1st archery bull tag. Need equipment advice

Following.

Not my first archery elk tag but my first archery bull tag, and one I likely will not have again soon.

Ok, since we are talking about all this good stuff. What GPS does everybody use? I have an older SporTrak Color. I have not loaded any maps to it other than what came on it.

I run Garmin gps 20's with OnXmaps software on them. The OnXmaps, formerly Hunting GPSmaps, was recommended to me years ago by an NMDGF regional supervisor for an antelope hunt that had many blocks of private and Indian owned land I would not be allowed on. I ran a trial version on the hunt and have used their software for AZ and NM since then.

Having your first archery bull tag is awesome. Your mind is going 100 MPH thinking of all the details of the hunt. Don't get to wrapped up in all the other details to overlook the most important one. Make sure you get out there and have a good time. The hunt should not become a chore.

• Like 1

DUG, anytime you want to chat I'll throw all my limited knowledge at ya, give me a shout.

What do you guys use to sharpen your broadheads? Any other useful hunting tips or tactics? I'm pretty sure I will not be in a blind or in a tree stand. Mainly spot and stalk. Are you guys hunting all day or do you let them bed and then wait till they come out of beds?

I hunt all day and feel that most people who get it done consistently do. I chase bugles morning and evening and usually sit wallows or water mid day. Archery elk huntinf is not for people that like sleep. My days usually start at 2:00 waking up. Out of camp by 3:00. Find a hot spot where the elk are making noise and get as close as you can in the dark. Chase bugles until they bed and go sit water until 3:00 or so. Chase bugles until dark, eat dinner and head back out to locate bulls so they will be easier to find in the morning

• Like 4

Many different things you can use to sharpen your broad head. I just bought a Work Sharp belt sharpener. I mainly bought it for my knives and put a razor sharp edge on my Buck that I can't remember the last time I sharpened. It was rather dull to say the least. I thought my broad heads were sharp until I did some on that. Try the rubber band test to see the difference. In the field I have a sharpening steel by one of the big knife makers, not sure if it Case, Old Henry, or Schrade. Lots of videos on youtube to learn how to sharpen a broad head. Find the one you like best.

Been awhile ...Let's talk pants etc. I'm looking for something light and quiet, without spending over 100$. Is that possible now?

Any will do. I personally wear about 4 different brands depending on the weather. Mostly just light weight. Only if it is raining do I bust out the expensive pants. My favorites right now are my predator camo and kings camo lightweight.

One caveat. ALL of my pants have water resistant treatment up to the knees. NOTHING and I mean NOTHING sucks more than wet feet.. If you don't wear gaiters or have water resistant/proof pants, your pants will soak and fill up your waterpoof boots.

And Wear water proof boots! The dew on the grass will SOAK you.

I diy waterproof all my stuff(that I want waterproof) with the silicon/mineral spirits method. Easy to do and works.

I didn't read all the posts, so forgive me if this has been covered....

Broadheads.

For me, mechanicals are out of the question.

• Like 1

For pants I recommend prana zion stretches. Under a hundred bucks and probably the most comfortable pants I've worn. They only come in solid colors though, which I don't think matters much.

• Like 1