Sign in to follow this  
DUG

Got my 1st archery bull tag. Need equipment advice

Been awhile ...Let's talk pants etc. I'm looking for something light and quiet, without spending over 100$. Is that possible now?

Last year I had my first archery bull tag, congrats. I shot my bull wearing Coscto pants. I don't remember the exact name of them (UB Tech comfort pant??) and don't see them on their website right now but I paid $20 for them. I don't see how there could be something better than that for the price. Are there better, more comfortable, durable and camo? Yes to all. But for the price, it's hard to beat.

For pants I recommend prana zion stretches. Under a hundred bucks and probably the most comfortable pants I've worn. They only come in solid colors though, which I don't think matters much.

I think these are on sale right now in selected sizes for $39. I've never worn them but heard good things.

I just found a pair of camo pants at Cabelas in the bargain cave for 16$. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Tell me what you know about lighted nocks. Do I need them? Carry 1 arrow with a lighted nock for the evening hunt?

Just stole the wife's Amazon card and bought some Nockturnals...... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I used nocturnals and loved them. I shot my bull at like 8 or 830 am so didn't really use them at that time. But, I did shoot a lot of practice in low light and they were great for that.

I've started listening to some Jay Scott podcasts about elk and tactics etc. But not sure what the elk do when it's raining and thundering? Do they stop bugling or doesn't it faze them?

I would jump on the rich outdoors podcast, the last few months he does wapiti Wednesday and there has been some really good info on those.

My limited experience is when they are rutting the weather doesn't shut them down here in az, showers and storms blow through quick.

One thing I know we did wrong was not being more aggressive with our movement and also with bugle, we were a little shy with both

• Like 1

I have often heard an elk bugle back after hearing a large clap of thunder.

My best advice,.. aim 4" further back than you think. Shoulder blades and bones on a big bull are TOUGH. They will stop an arrow even at close range and high poundage. There is a big area of lung behind the shoulder that will put them down fast.

• Like 1

Just found a nice little blind I bought about 8 years ago. Anybody shoot their elk from a blind before? Seems like it would be super hot to sit in it for any long amount of time.