kazpilot25

5BS Early Archery Bull

If you go to the next bcha pint night on April 19 I'll have some first hand info for you. I had a bout 9000 photos, 10 days of scouting and 10 days hunting that tag. I'll be scouting 5bn a bunch this year also.

Sounds interesting. Where is it?

I hunted there a few yrs back, that 340" mark I think is a little under estimated, when I hunted it there was a 410" plus and I missed 2 over 370" , ya I missed, any way if you need some good area's pm me. And me buddy did shoot a 367" bull that yr.

• Like 1

I hunted there a few yrs back, that 340" mark I think is a little under estimated, when I hunted it there was a 410" plus and I missed 2 over 370" , ya I missed, any way if you need some good area's pm me. And me buddy did shoot a 367" bull that yr.

Oh man, missing them is painful. At least you had the chance, right?

You have a great tag!!!! The elk bugle all day long it's awesome. Literally everywhere in the unit holds elk. I've never shot a bull under 320 in that unit.

• Like 1

I hunt this unit just about every year. Somebody I know or in the family always draws the tag. I finally got the nod and get to be the one hunting bulls this year again. As many stated there is elk just about anywhere you can point on a map of the unit. There's a lot of water in it, so finding where they drink is a little tough because of how many tanks there are in mile or two radius in most parts. Last year the biggest bull we chased was right around that 360" mark. A lot of bulls in the 300-315 range that would satisfy anyone looking for their first bull. The bugling was great one day and the next it was super slow. If you know 6a then you can apply those tactics for 5bs because the layouts are not very different. Gonna focus more on the southern parts this year and see how it is, but may end up back in the middle of the unit if it doesn't work out. Best of luck!

This is a pretty good reflection of the unit.

I have the tag too, and this will be the first time hunting 5BS. I am interested in volunteering for the youth turkey hunt that was mentioned… I don't have a tag myself, and enjoy chasing spring birds. It would be a great way to get out this spring , and learn some of the unit before summer. Anyone who can give me some contact info for the hunt?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 3

I have the tag too, and this will be the first time hunting 5BS. I am interested in volunteering for the youth turkey hunt that was mentioned… I don't have a tag myself, and enjoy chasing spring birds. It would be a great way to get out this spring , and learn some of the unit before summer. Anyone who can give me some contact info for the hunt?

Thanks in advance.

Contact IA Born. He responded on page 1 of this topic.

• Like 1

There is some great advice in this thread. I hunted it last year and passed on some great bulls and missed a really good one.

If you are considering a guide I can tell you with 1000% certainty who you SHOULD NOT book with. Send me a message if you are thinking of hiring an outfitter. I'd hate for anyone to have the experience that I did as it relates to an outfitter.

I ended up at the 6A youth turkey camp and talked to a couple guys about elk. That camp is AMAZING. The guys that put that on do a great job and the kids have a blast.

While I was out there I worked my way out to 5BS and checked out a couple different areas. It seems like it could be some tough hunting...

I'm usually a get up high and glass kind of guy, so can anyone give me some pointers on what tactics to use during the early archery bull season?

• Like 1

I ended up at the 6A youth turkey camp and talked to a couple guys about elk. That camp is AMAZING. The guys that put that on do a great job and the kids have a blast.

While I was out there I worked my way out to 5BS and checked out a couple different areas. It seems like it could be some tough hunting...

I'm usually a get up high and glass kind of guy, so can anyone give me some pointers on what tactics to use during the early archery bull season?

Tell you what you need to do.

Get yourself two hoochie momma's and a primos terminator bugle. Drive around first thing in the morning and blow that bugle every quarter mile or so, do not get put of the truck. Once you find a bull wait until 30 minutes after light and go after him. Squeeze those hoochies as often as possible. Be sure not to wait too long between calls. If you don't hear anything for a while, bugle a few times and rake some trees. By rake I mean swing limbs like a baseball bat at tree trunks. This method must be pretty effective because I see a lot of guys doing it.

• Like 2

Tell you what you need to do.

Get yourself two hoochie momma's and a primos terminator bugle. Drive around first thing in the morning and blow that bugle every quarter mile or so, do not get put of the truck. Once you find a bull wait until 30 minutes after light and go after him. Squeeze those hoochies as often as possible. Be sure not to wait too long between calls. If you don't hear anything for a while, bugle a few times and rake some trees. By rake I mean swing limbs like a baseball bat at tree trunks. This method must be pretty effective because I see a lot of guys doing it.

In the right situations that could all work

Use calls only if you have to. Every idiot that has been to cabelas, or watch hunting shows blow the crap out of their calls. Bulls are call shy 2 weeks before the hunt. Raking trees with a real antler works and learn how to glunk. If you have to have calls a diaphragm cow call is all that's needed. Just be sneekee and slip in on em or sit water, wallow or a pounded trail near bedding areas. Good luck.

• Like 1