Sign in to follow this  
cramerhunts

Half way there.

Early on in the year I gradually figured out that I had a unique opportunity to try and take a Single Season Grand Slam. With some hunts booked and other work trips that would put me in areas at the same time as season was open, I decided to go for it. After my recent trip to Texas I am half way there with two more to go.

Texas was a blast, the birds were fired up and hammering. I should of had two on the ground but just couldn't make it happen on the second bird.

The first afternoon I got to the ranch I set up on a fence line that several groups had been using to feed down on the way to their roost. I wasn't even settled in when a big tom snuck by me at 5 yards! I was completely caught off guard! I was kicking myself so hard I almost didn't hear the gobble behind me. I gave a few sequences on the pot and got tucked in tight with the ole 20. Not long after I had two gobblers coming from my left and two more coming from my right. I could see the biggest was on the right and just about ready to duck under the fence. Of course the video camera was on the birds coming from the left and I didn't dare move (sometimes you have to decide to film or hunt and I chose the latter). The big bird cleared the fence and met a face full of mag blends that ruined his day and made mine.

The one that snuck by me.

post-216-0-34395000-1490829422_thumb.png

The two from the left.

post-216-0-85367500-1490829462_thumb.png

post-216-0-47993300-1490829481_thumb.png

My first Rio Grande 10 5/16" Beard, 1" spurs, 21.4 lbs.

post-216-0-42111900-1490829513_thumb.jpg

post-216-0-45125800-1490829535_thumb.jpg

post-216-0-03449100-1490829551_thumb.jpg

He also is sporting a second beard which is another first for me. 4 1/16"

post-216-0-73680000-1490829772_thumb.jpg

I'm looking forward to chasing Merriam's here in AZ and then onto Eastern's in Missouri.

• Like 9

Good luck on your Slam should have no problem in Arizona (what unit?). Missouri on the other hand could be troublesome I spoke with a biologist there last week he says many parts of the state have had very bad hatches the last two years and turkey numbers are down.

• Like 1

I'm in extreme north west Missouri right now for work. Seen way more turkey than deer.

• Like 1

A bad year in Missouri is better than a great year in AZ.

• Like 2

Good point nothing like hunting those Ozark hills but let me add anytime spent hunting anywhere is great time spent.

• Like 1

Went through the pic's too fast the first time to notice your Rio had a double beard congrats and thanks for sharing those pics. Again Good Luck on your Single Season Grand Slam. Consider booking a Goulds hunt with Jay Scott and make it a Royal I believe they still have tags available this year.

• Like 2

Congrats, Phil! I saw these pics on Instagram and didn't connect the dots at first. Good luck on your slam!

• Like 1

Sounds like you are off to a good start towards your single season slam Phill. Congratulations on the two birds so far. Them are some nice birds and good luck on the rest of your hunts.

TRKtHNTR's suggestion might be something to think about if time allows. :)

TJ

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I will be hunting in Trenton, Missouri and from what I've seen the birds are doing pretty good in that part of the state. I hope this is the case as my daughter will be trying to complete her Royal at the same time. In AZ I'll be hunting the second hunt on the San Carlos. I've been talking to Jay and this is still a possibility but more than likely will be next year as my father drew a Gould's in AZ and my grandfather drew a Merriam's in 8/10 so my spring is jammed up pretty good.

I love this time of year!

• Like 2

Short video I put together. A lot of turkey talk on it.

Congrats on getting two species down and good luck on the rest of your slam! I kinda buggered up my single year slam opportunity this year by forgetting to put in for some quote Osceola hunts (baby born in November will do that too you :D). Have 2 Rios down so far in San Diego, then head to Northwest Florida to visit family for Easter (and do a little Eastern hunting), then San Carlos after. Maybe I'll make a bonzaii run to South Florida while I'm there LOL. Leave a few birds for me at San Carlos ;) I have the late hunt.

• Like 1