Sign in to follow this  
TexasHunter

Unit 1 camping areas

So I was super lucky and drew a unit 1 Archery tag. Not looking for any hunting spots or anything. What I am looking for is a good spot to take my trailer to do summer scouting and camping. I have a 36 foot bumper pull trailer. Need to find somewhere I can take the family and camp and learn the unit. Thanks for any advise.

Lots of places up there, definitely come up with plan A, B, C, and D though.

Good luck and I'm a little jealous

I like to camp over by Canero Lake just outside of Greer over by Greens peak

Finding good pull in camping spots can get crazy up there in the summer. Especially on a holiday weekend. PM me and I'll give you a few suggestions.

• Like 1

Try Big Lake and let the kids catch some fish or is this in 27?? Either way close enough.

Haven't been there since the fire, but we always used to camp on the west fork of the Black River. It's in the southern part of the unit, but was a great spot to hunt out of as well as take a day off fly fishing etc.

Remember the road is now paved all the way to Big Lake from both Springerville and Alpine routes

Haven't been there since the fire, but we always used to camp on the west fork of the Black River. It's in the southern part of the unit, but was a great spot to hunt out of as well as take a day off fly fishing etc.

West Fork might never open. There are talks but not sure. You can hike in there but no vehicles The valley in there and camps didnt get touch. But the surrounding areas burned bad. Very depressing coming from Big Lake down to West Fork. (been camping there since I was 6 months old according to my parents) With all rain it floods into some areas in the First crossing. If you remember where the Camp Host camped at that whole area is under boulders and rocks. But the rest of the camps are perfect. Still kind of neat going through there and seeing peoples stacks of fire wood still there since the fire

If your truck can pull it up the mountain you'll find a place to park, guaranteed.

congrats on the tag-one of the better ones to have! lots of good areas to hunt/camp, both north and south of 260. only thing i might add,and i may get flamed: Please don't be one of those people who go and stake out THEIR SPOT by leaving a trailer parked all summer. it's no different than claiming a water hole as "yours".i know first hand that it's a pain in the butt moving those things and looking for a good location. a lot of us like to use the forest throughout the year, tho- try to follow forest service rules,within reason.(2 wks-ish,give or take)

anyway,excellent tag-you can't go wrong anywhere you choose. get after em! pm me w/ any questions