1denogean

backpacking tents.... what are you guys using?

been looking at them all curious on what the AZ backpackers are using? weights look like they fluctuate a lot from different brands please post up

Thanks

I've been using a kelty salida the last couple years. I'm sure it's not as high tech as some more expensive tents, but I think I paid around $100 for it. I can attest for it being able to stand up to harsh weather, and it breathed well during the October hunt last year when it was 95 out. Also, it is as light as most comparable tents regardless of price, which was a big deal to me.I believe it weighs 4 lbs how I have it. Gotta say, great tent especially if you're on a budget.I'd buy it again.

I'm using a northface tadpole from about 15 years ago when I worked at Popular Outdoor stores. Still going strong. I've been very happy with it.

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. Just over 2 lbs and is perfect size for me and my gear. They have excellent customer service as well! Broke a pole last year and they fixed it for free

• Like 3

Kelty TN 2. Good for one dude and a chick or one dude and gear. A little too small for two straight dudes. Awesome tent and easy to set up. Bought mine used on ebay for 1/2 price it was used once but needed a fly.........Kelty sent me a new one for free.

• Like 1

Jimmy Tarps Granite Mountain and bivy. ULTRA LIGHT. packs down to softball size and weighs around a pound total. Have it for sale in the classifieds. I Won't need it this year. Going with an big canvas tent for our early archery bull tags! 😆

Guest akaspecials

95% of the time I'm in a hammock with a tarp. Less than 2 pounds. The other 5% I'm in a 20 year old Sierra Designs 3 season tent that weighs 8 lbs with all the extra tie downs. It has to be pretty shitty weather for me to justify carrying that tent.

When I used to do multi day wilderness pack hunts I used an Outdoor Research Bug Bivy. Basically it is a zippered enclosure just big enough to put your sleeping bag in and keep small visitors out. The top is mesh netting so it wont help if it rains. As I recall they are under 1 pound and probably in the $50 range. Got it at REI.

REI Quarterdome. Got it on sale, with additional discount. It is similar to BA Copper Spur, but $100 cheaper. Tent, fly and footprint is 3 pounds.

Guest akaspecials

I like the idea of a bivy and a tarp I just get nervous of scorpions and centipedes in October

That's why a lot of us sleep in hammocks. It's also cooler in the hot months.

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. Just over 2 lbs and is perfect size for me and my gear. They have excellent customer service as well! Broke a pole last year and they fixed it for free

Moosejaw has them on sale too for some huge savings.

• Like 1

BA copper spur 1man. Little pricey but solid and light. If you aren't packing far or don't mind the weight penalty get a two man. More room for you and your stuff. If you have bad weather you have more room to roam.