Sign in to follow this  
bigsky2

Unit 10 Early Archery

My dad finally cashed in his 17 NR points this year on a unit 10 archery tag. I probably won't draw a tag like this in my lifetime so I plan on going with him for a week of his hunt. I know the unit isn't as good as it once was since they have been issuing more tags in the last few years, so we are trying not to get our hopes up too much. We have family in AZ so my dad actually spent a couple days checking out the unit while he was in AZ last week. It sounds like it is a huge unit and elk can be found all over the unit. He plans on getting there a week early to scout and then hunting the full two weeks of the season.

I am just looking for some general advice and trying to find out what to expect. We are from Montana so during Sept. 15-30 the elk up here are in the peak of the rut. I know they typically rut a little later in the south...will the elk be bugling the entire time during those dates?

My dad was saying most of the public land in the unit is state land rather than BLM and he thought you could only camp in certain designated campgrounds. Is this true and do the campgrounds get full? I know there is some National Forest but it looks like that only covers a small part of the unit.

If anyone is willing to send me a PM about areas to check out that would be really helpful. I am hoping since it is such a limited opportunity hunt that people will be a little more likely to offer advice on the unit. We will never be able to hunt it again. If anyone is willing to help and wants info on hunting Montana I would be happy to exchange info. Any advice is much appreciated.

Howdy bigsky2,

You have a great tag, so don't let your opportunity go to waste! You are somewhat incorrect re: state trust lands. You need a "permit" to access and recreate on state lands, but a valid AZ hunting license fulfills this requirement. Re: designated campsites, I don't believe this applies to state lands, though it might in some cases. As far as USFS lands, there are travel restrictions and they are pretty onerous, at least they were when I camped on the Coconino in 2014. You will need to get a travel map from the forest service in Williams (Kaibab NF) to make sure you know the boundaries for dispersed camping and what the road rules are. The tickets are $$. As far as campgrounds, I don't know of any except near towns - Seligman, Williams, etc. Kaibab Lake has one, that is a USFS operated, but it is on the extreme E. edge of your unit. The Big Boquillas Ranch may be your best bet, but you will need to do some e-scouting to come up to speed on that. There are a lot of posts on this forum which will be helpful, and also a lot of current knowledge which will be most helpful. You may want to start with a Flatline map as well as USFS and BLM surface maps. That will get you oriented in a general sense. If anything I have written is incorrect, it is unintentional and if other posters will set me straight, we will both appreciate it.

forepaw

first decide if you are hunting the boquillas or not - the BO can definitely be a remote hunt - meaning chances are once your on the ranch and set-up you'll most likely not be making trips to town ! + its an added expense

As far as camping- not a major issue as it sounds - plenty of locations

lots of people will go with a guide - added expense but that's up to your dad and him knowledge and the skills needed to harvest a mature elk DIY - do it yourself hunting

what are his expectations -- wants a mature big bull - 350 + or bust ?

will send PM

He is hoping for a 350+ bull, and I am not sure if he would settle for something smaller. Here in Montana we can elk hunt every year so I think he is kind of set on trying to get a big bull. He considered hiring a guide but the one he looked into was a lot more than he was wanting to spend. I think he would be willing to hire a guide if the price was right. That being said, we have a lot of experience hunting elk so DIY is definitely an option. The main challenge is hunting a unit we've never been to.

I believe the Big Bo permits are limited so you might wanna get on that asap. It's very inexpensive when you factor in that your dad has been eating a $150 hunting license every year for the last 18 years to draw the tag so if I were in your shoes I'd get that bought asap. Even if you don't hunt the big bo it's worth the small fee to make sure you can ( you probably will).

• Like 2

I believe that the hunt runs from the 15th thru 28th which should be excellent dates for the rut. Also the antler growth should be pretty good with the winter moisture that we've had.

You might want to purchase an Arizona game and fish department unit 10 map. This map has all of the road numbers in the unit as well as the road numbers on the Boquillas Ranch. I'm pretty sure that they would sell them at the Arizona game and fish offices. If you decide that you want to hunt the Boquillas Ranch on your hunt I would visit the website, huntbigboranch.com. On this website they have all of the ranch rules and access fees. Some of the main rules on the ranch are no spotlighting, no hunting within 100 yards of a tank (stupid rule), no baiting, no treestands, no atvs and utvs on the ranch, no horses and mules, and no off roading unless you're retrieving an elk. Off of the ranch it is legal to hunt tanks, use atvs and utvs, and use treestands. So if you hunt off the ranch you have more freedom. Ranch prices are like 80 bucks for the permit holder and 80 bucks per a hunter assistant. They start selling the passes in July.

As for camping you just pretty much camp where you want except close to a water source. Once you get there you'll figure out real quick that it's a big unit and areas that you want to hunt can be separated by a long ways.

Keep in mind every Sept bull tag owner wants a 350 bull so there will be w let of competition. Also, 350 bulls are probably closer to 1 in 10 bulging bulls, & a few will be exceptional. The only rule is they won't come in numerical order, so while you could see 3 in a row, you may also see 30 or more before you see 1.

Enjoy your hunt, but remember there's nothing wrong with collecting a 300" bull either, especially if done right!

I would like to recommend you take a look at the Free Game Planner Map Viewer. Just register for free and you can use it to research, map scout, and print maps for unit 10. Its free to use and most of the western states.

In the past I've made Custom Maps of the unit and can overlay the Big Bo ranch boundary/access points, earthen tanks, water catchments, as well as, all the roads and surface ownership. I will consult with you to ensure you get the map you need.

If you have any questions please email me ed@gameplannermaps.com and we can setup a time to talk.

-Ed

This will be a great hunt. Had it in 2012 and killed a 373 6x7 with 60+" main beams and a broken sword. Pics and video are on this site. Had a blast and the elk rutted harder than i have ever seen in my life. That was only the second archery bull tag i had ever drawn and i grew up here. Have not been able to draw a 10 tag since. That being said it is no cake walk and 350 min is a big order. My wife had an early bull tag the year before and kept passing good bulls and ended up shooting a 5 pt the evening of the last day. The price you pay sometimes.... Good luck friend!