Sign in to follow this  
azruger

Youth turkey

Thinking about running the boys up for youth turkey thus year. Which sea sin is better 1st or 2nd. Just want to get into turkeys. Any info is greatly aporeciated. First timer for turkeys.

The first hunt is usually much better. I've killed Turkey's on the first and last day of the hunt, but the first half has always been more productive for me. I HIGHLY recommend giving the kids 4 days to hunt. Getting a Turkey is not usually that hard once you find them, but it can take a few days to find them. Sometimes getting it done in 2 days can be hard. The more days the better! I also recommend getting a turkey calling CD and listen to it on the drive up. It will give you a few pointers on calling and give the kids a good idea of what to listen for. Good Luck!

Youth turkey hunt camps are happening!

That's what me and my boy are going to do.

Youth turkey hunt camps are happening!

That's what me and my boy are going to do.

Yep, but most are filled up with waiting lists right now.

If I'm understanding your question correctly, you're wondering about the first or second general season to take them up. The youth OTC tags are not valid during the first or second weekend of the general season. They are valid April 21-28, and then again May 12-25 this year in units 1, 4A, 4B, 5A, 5B, 7, 8, 10, 12A, and 27 (in the regs). If I'm wrong about my interpretation, please correct me. I'd just hate to see you and your boys get in trouble.

Good luck!

• Like 2

You are correct IABORN. Those are the hunts I am talkino about.

Excellent! I prefer the early weekend, but they can be on fire later when hens are nesting and lonely toms are still looking.

• Like 1