• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 MULEPACKHUNTER

MULEPACKHUNTER

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,115 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, fitness, gunsmithing, reloading, custom rod building, fly fishing, archery hunting, packing mules and horses.
I have a case of 7-1/2 shot 12 gage , and I have a case of 6 as well. I have not hunted Quail a lot just wondering what is best Thanks
"My opinions and comments are just that mine and are not to be taken too seriously"
Mike

#2 6ANut

6ANut

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Interests:6A is my play ground.
Use that 7 1/2 early season then those 6 once they start flying a little further out

"Whether your talking about Bees, Dogs, or Women, Pain can come upon you Quickly, with either one of them." Phil Robertson 

"I just pulled a backstrap jihad"  Ted Nugent

"Never shoot a Large caliber man, with a Small caliber bullet" Lone Survivor.

If someone doesn't hunt the way you do, that doesn't mean they're doing it wrong. - 6ANut

#3 lancetkenyon

lancetkenyon

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,380 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, photography, family.
6Anut nailed it. Exactly what we do.

#4 Tres

Tres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping, and family
Yup. The sums it up.

#5 dmoto

dmoto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Hunting quail, ducks and turkey with the occasional elk thrown in.

#7.5 or #8 AA black box Winchester for early season. #6 high brass Federal or Kent for late season.

#6 metau

metau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Same.

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

#7 6ANut

6ANut

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Interests:6A is my play ground.
I really don't like using high brass 6 unless it's for pheasants etc... after blowing a few close flushers up.

"Whether your talking about Bees, Dogs, or Women, Pain can come upon you Quickly, with either one of them." Phil Robertson 

"I just pulled a backstrap jihad"  Ted Nugent

"Never shoot a Large caliber man, with a Small caliber bullet" Lone Survivor.

If someone doesn't hunt the way you do, that doesn't mean they're doing it wrong. - 6ANut

#8 MULEPACKHUNTER

MULEPACKHUNTER

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,115 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, fitness, gunsmithing, reloading, custom rod building, fly fishing, archery hunting, packing mules and horses.
Cool deal, I only ever used 7-1/2 but my buddy bought 6 I'll keep some of both but 7 mostly. Was doing some organizing and tripped over the case of 6 so figured I would ask.
"My opinions and comments are just that mine and are not to be taken too seriously"
Mike

#9 AzPlumber

AzPlumber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Depends on what size you prefer to chew on. :lol:

#10 GreatWhiteBuffalo

GreatWhiteBuffalo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

1 1/8 oz 6's loaded up to 1300fps, early, late or anytime have been will always be "the" load

#11 Zeke-BE

Zeke-BE

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts
  • Interests:A lot of everything. I'm a mile wide and a inch deep, but hunting has been the only thing that is consistent in my life.

Use that 7 1/2 early season then those 6 once they start flying a little further out

I keep 3-4 high brass 5 shot in my pockets for January.  For when those guys are 80 yards away and not flying, can't get any closer, I have shot one on the ground before.  Usually you can see them and they can see you that far but not running I have had times that they gave me enough opportunity to switch out my round.  (Shooting birds on the ground goes against my code, until Januray :)

#12 Huntnfish

Huntnfish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I shoot a 20 gauge semi-auto and use 7.5 first two shots and 6 for the third.

#13 Red Rabbit

Red Rabbit

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,096 posts
  • Interests:Quail, deer and elk hunting, informal shooting, 3D archery, flyfishing, landscape photography.

Usually 7 1/2 with Improved and Modified chokes for Gambels. and 8 with skeet and skeet for Mearns

#14 akaspecials

akaspecials

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Ducks, quail, elk, and deer (in that order). Shotguns and archery. Backpacking.
I always use 6. I chase a lot less cripples than my hunting partners that use 7 or 7 1/2. I also have larger holes in my birds and chew on more lead. Either will work.

#15 Tres

Tres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping, and family
I wish they made more 7 shot for 20ga. You pretty much have to load your own to get #7s or shoot steel. I'd shoot nothing but 7s if they sold them. I shoog both 6s and 7.5s now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users