I wish they made more 7 shot for 20ga. You pretty much have to load your own to get #7s or shoot steel. I'd shoot nothing but 7s if they sold them. I shoog both 6s and 7.5s now.

+1

That's what we load for every gauge on quail loads. You will bite down on a lot less shot if you shoot them at dove also.

I wish they made more 7 shot for 20ga. You pretty much have to load your own to get #7s or shoot steel. I'd shoot nothing but 7s if they sold them. I shoog both 6s and 7.5s now.

+1

That's what we load for every gauge on quail loads. You will bite down on a lot less shot if you shoot them at dove also.

I'm either gonna have to bite the bullet and start loading my own or find someone nice enough to load them for me.

I'll add another vote for the minority opinion of 6 always.

Some links in case you're interested:

I commented on shot size and chokes in my tips page. Have loaded 7/8 oz 7's now for about 20 years.

Always start the season with IC/LM. As the season progresses, that evolves into either IC/IC or SK/IC depending upon circumstances and species.

Reminder that I shoot over pointing Britts. Hunting w/ not dogs would necessitate tighter chokes I'm sure.

Overall standard for most double upland guns is IC/M.

http://arizonaquailhuntingcamp.weebly.com/quail-hunt-recommendations.html

Last season, in January 2016-17, I loaded some 6's for the first time.

Found that 7/8 oz in my little 20 ga did not throw a good pattern. Tried 1 oz and liked it.

Was worried that I would shoot them up so much that birds would not be good table fair. Was not a problem. Late season, even with good Britts.

Like others have mentioned, very few cripples and actually extended my effective range several yards.

http://arizonaquailhuntingcamp.weebly.com/2016-2017-quail-reports.html

Here is beginning of 2017-18 quail reports. All the best, Bob C., Globe, Az.

http://arizonaquailhuntingcamp.weebly.com/2017-2018-quail-reports.html

Uh oh. Re-read this this morning. Let's make that "table fare." Had a good smile over that faux pas. Would blame my secretary, but don't have one!

Edited by rcorley
  • Like 2

I like using the higher power 6 or 7 shot. I have lost too many birds using the common 8 shot dove loads. They are hard to find without a dog if they are able to run after they hit the ground.

Come on, I can't be the only one who uses 3" #5 winchester supremes??

• Like 1

Used the #7 first shot and #6 next 2 shots and it worked great thanks guys. #7 may have worked fine though, never had a 3rd shot.

• Like 2

Good to hear buddy, sometimes when the action gets hot who knows what I'm shooting. 6 then 7 then 6 lol

Bet ha everybody hear debating shot size is shooting diffent barrel lengths and different chokes.

Mike describe the weapon your using that should help with correct ammo prescription. ;)