Sign in to follow this  
Bitter24

Drew unit 17 NM.

Well looks like I drew my first out of state tag for NM. Drew the first archery bull hunt in 17. Now the prep work and research begins on the unit. Only have driven through NM, so should be a learning experience. Should be able to get over there at least 3 times for 4 day scouting trips. Sounds like the unit holds some big bulls but the elk move around a bunch. Never expected to draw the tag.

• Like 1

Well, I got "unsuccessful" in my first/desperate attempt. Bad enough I already got "Not Drawn" here in AZ. I'm going to start drinking......oh wait, I haven't stopped since our results came out. Congrats. Good luck.

AZelkhunter69, yeah I hear you there! I was getting real used to see the red boxs on my app's in NM last handful of years. I truly didnt expect any different this year. Was in conplete shock when it showed green! I struck out in AZ as well, though planned on that as I drew my tag here last year. So now the 5-12 year wait for me in AZ again.

AZTB5, Congrats on your tag man! That was one of my choices as well. Love to hear back from you on how you hunt goes. Hopefully you can knock a bull down!

• Like 1

It should be soon, I havent got my return for my other tags I didnt draw yet either. Probably this coming week I am figuring.

17 is a good unit. Get in shape for steep mountains and 9000 foot elevation. Prepare to get away from the roads to run into elk consistently.

Red, thank you for the reply. Sounds good, Im pretty used to the 8-9k feet of elevation part so that shouldnt be a problem. Waiting on a map of the unit to arrive, to start searching where I want to scout at. Hopefully I can figure something out and get into some elk.