BeardownAZ

223 factory loads??(pics pg. 3)

So this is kind of an ammature ballistics question. Since I have 1 1/2 cases of factory FMJ ammo...I wondered if I could carefully grind back the tip, to the lead core, and effectively have a hollow point bullet? Will this work?

Sure it will work. I modifi all my bullets.

I think the 50 grains would be lightest I would go. I want to stick to the 50-60 grain area. I have seen some of the Winchester bulk white box 45 grain 22-250 loads fly to pieces out of a gun due to the velocity and rate of twist that obviously wasn't good for them. I hit a coyote years back with an AR but all I had was some 55 grain FMJs. Wasn't hunting but came across this dog and nailed him good, or so I thought. He dropped after spinning around a few times. Went to go get him and he took off running not looking very healthy in the process. Never could recover him.

If you are going to get a bolt rifle get a 22-250. If your methodical a 223 works as well as a 243 on Elk.

I think the 50 grains would be lightest I would go. I want to stick to the 50-60 grain area. I have seen some of the Winchester bulk white box 45 grain 22-250 loads fly to pieces out of a gun due to the velocity and rate of twist that obviously wasn't good for them. I hit a coyote years back with an AR but all I had was some 55 grain FMJs. Wasn't hunting but came across this dog and nailed him good, or so I thought. He dropped after spinning around a few times. Went to go get him and he took off running not looking very healthy in the process. Never could recover him.

And that's why FMJs are illegal......

I really like the federal 55s in the Sierra game king bthp. But for polymer tipped the 55 noslers that Casey recommend would definitely be better than the 40s I have, due to the 40s being very light. But depends what you are using them on.

Yup. Yet our militaryis made to use them

I haven't researched this but I've been told that's because a wounded soldier takes Out 3 where a Dead Soldier only takes out one, the Dead.

• Like 1

I load 50 V-max @ 3300 in my AR for yokes and Jacks.

But I have used my 69 SMK @ 3033fps target loads on them as well, with good reaults.

I haven't researched this but I've been told that's because a wounded soldier takes Out 3 where a Dead Soldier only takes out one, the Dead.

Yeah something like that. Don't think this current enemy cares about that though.

Definitely think 223 is good but bullet selection can make a huge difference. Some rounds have more room for error, I don't think this one does.

Sierra 77 gr TMK @ 2850 fps, but that is with a 1 in 7.7 twist 22" barrel. Blackhills has a factory load that you can try first to see if you like it. I found this load kills coyotes faster than anything I have ever tried in an AR. Tracking jobs under 5 feet :) Fur is still ok. Have not tested on fox or bobcat yet.

• Like 1

I can imagine the heavier bullets in 223 really do good. The only reason I want to stay in the middle of bullet weight is due to commonality. Maybe I could go up a tad to 62 grain as that is somewhat common. If I was handloading that would be different. I'm fine using factory loads for 223. I've gotten to the point of trying to consolidate calibers to common ones.

Seen those hornadys spire points at Sportsmans. Price wasn't terrible. With ARs getting as cheap as they are, its almost making me rethink semi auto.

I was just about to mention those Hornady at sportsmans. 55gr SP. $30 for 50 rounds. They shoot pretty well out of my mini-14, for as good as a mini-14 can shoot them...

• Like 1

Anyone using 55gr on 1 in 7 twist barrel(AR)? Seen many people(AR15.com) who say they use them with great results and others not as much. Figure maybe going up to 62,64 or even 69 grain.