BeardownAZ

223 factory loads??(pics pg. 3)

I've been shooting the prvi 69gn hollow points lately. Sub moa out of my AR, which is shocking. They are pretty cheap as well

Anyone using 55gr on 1 in 7 twist barrel(AR)? Seen many people(AR15.com) who say they use them with great results and others not as much. Figure maybe going up to 62,64 or even 69 grain.

Minute of Coyote out to 150 yards should be doable, under 50 is always better with 223 especially if you can do a frontal chest shot.

Prvi is actually good ammo for what it cost. Generally seen it as bulk cheap ammo but it does better then that. I know some of the 308 match ammo from them shoots really good. A lot better the most ammo snobs would ever think it could. I think I could push this gun to 300 yards with legit expectations but realistically most coyotes seem to come well under that so I don't see much shooting at that distance.

To add to this topic. Been reading on a few other sites about V-max bullets and some having an issue with them blowing up to shallow on the dogs or splashing as some called it, and not dropping them dead immediately. Anyone else heard of this or had this issue? Seems a lot love it but some absolutely hate the vmax for those reasons stated.

I shot a javelina with a 20 gn vmax out of my .17 fireball. Not much penetration at all, but a bullet that small going over 4,000 fps won't have much. I probably couldn't get a pass through on a sparrow with it

GreyGhost- What was the result? Liquid insides? Did it hit bone or no? I think hitting an area like a shoulder is the big difference in these types of bullets(Vmax etc). Seems like they are lethal in even bone hits but they don't kill or drop the animal immediately as opposed to exploding on the inside when they penetrate.

To add to this topic. Been reading on a few other sites about V-max bullets and some having an issue with them blowing up to shallow on the dogs or splashing as some called it, and not dropping them dead immediately. Anyone else heard of this or had this issue? Seems a lot love it but some absolutely hate the vmax for those reasons stated.

I had my first poor V-Max experience on a young dog last Saturday after roughly 20 or so great experiences.

I shot straight into his chest at 300 as he hung up facing me and sitting curiously. The shot felt true but he ran 75 yards with a wicked blood trail. Not sure if this is what you're talking about but clearly the bullet never exited. I would have thought he would have went down a lot sooner than he did. The positive still far outweighs this one experience.

post-3844-0-75049100-1501084017_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

It seems those who've had issues with the vmax have only had the issue in 223. 22-250 and others it seems to do just fine. I'm gonna try a mixed bag of soft points and hollow points of different brands and weights and go from there. 55 being lightest and 69 the heaviest I'll try.

Went with some PRVI 69gr and it shoots really accurate, 1/2 in groups at 100 yards. Out of a Aero AR 16in barrel. As soon as I get out and call one in, Ill post the results.

• Like 1

I wont shot them have had several blow up on the shoulder blade ruin hide and not even be a Patel shot have to shot with shot gun to put down they have all been over a hundred yards they never did it close

I can tell you, a 230 Berger Hybrid from a .300RUM @ 1365 yards will kill a coyote dead quickly. Almost got a double, but the winds must have just eased a bit for the 2nd yote. Missed him by about 6" behind his tail when the winds died per my spotter. 8.1MIL of elevation, 2MIL of wind hold. No photos, as I was not climbing up the east side of Sitgreaves to retrieve a coyote.

• Like 1

Sorry but shooting 300RUM for coyotes is a little to rich for my blood, lol. I like to keep it cheap when I shoot them trash eaters. But it would be good deer and elk practice.