Sign in to follow this  
tomuchworking

Grandpa's Cat

I am sure there are many versions of this story to be told. Grandpa always wanted to kill a lion with a spear. He told one of the local houndsmen (Charlie Sutherland) what he wanted to do. Charlie later called him and said they had found a good lion. I was told he climbed the tree to stick the cat. His first jab was swatted by the lion sending the spear to the ground. He climbed down to get the spear, and made the second attempt count. My aunt still has the rug and the spear. He was one of a kind. Sure miss him.

16906687_396504854044611_918787179139615

• Like 14

Dude!!! I mean John Wayne right there! Wow

That's awesome. Can you tell more about the spear? Did he make it himself? Any chance you can get a better picture of the spear? I'm interested in how it was made, the shaft and spear head.

What a great piece of family history

That's awesome. Can you tell more about the spear? Did he make it himself? Any chance you can get a better picture of the spear? I'm interested in how it was made, the shaft and spear head.

I tried getting pictures, but could not. I remember holding the spear as a kid. They welded a long blade to a heavy pipe. I wish I could have found/got some pictures of it.