Sign in to follow this  
idgaf

Early Scouting

I saw one by the midway store or whatever it's called yesterday, which one is that

suburban. He's been in range a few times. I am sure someone will go after him

• Like 1

Early scouting is fun, especially with goats. But the second those does start cycling, everything changes. Bucks come out of nowhere, others disappear into thin air.

Be sure to spend as much time as possible the week or two before the hunt.

It has been my experience (4 archery tags + this one) that the rut really doesn't kick in until the first week of September. I am hoping with the 8/11 start that they are still solo. I am trying to fine tune everything, from pushing them to see their escape routes to learning the nuances of the fields they live in. To finding every conceivable indention that may hold water.

I am stuck in hades, AKA Scottsdale, for work until the eve of my hunt. I have limited vacation and two tags (elk and antelope), I am hoping to only need one vacation day for me antelope hunt, that's why I am overcompensating with scouting/training. I will spend the next month upping my practice shooting to 5 days a week to get the muscle memory as much in place as possible.

suburban from yesterday

attachicon.gifDSCN1098.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1100.JPG

Flare full sized with his friends

attachicon.gifDSCN1174.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1050.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1167.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1197.JPG

If your near scottsdale fashion square, get ahold of me and we can do lunch.

Early scouting is fun, especially with goats. But the second those does start cycling, everything changes. Bucks come out of nowhere, others disappear into thin air.

Be sure to spend as much time as possible the week or two before the hunt.

It has been my experience (4 archery tags + this one) that the rut really doesn't kick in until the first week of September. I am hoping with the 8/11 start that they are still solo. I am trying to fine tune everything, from pushing them to see their escape routes to learning the nuances of the fields they live in. To finding every conceivable indention that may hold water.

I am stuck in hades, AKA Scottsdale, for work until the eve of my hunt. I have limited vacation and two tags (elk and antelope), I am hoping to only need one vacation day for me antelope hunt, that's why I am overcompensating with scouting/training. I will spend the next month upping my practice shooting to 5 days a week to get the muscle memory as much in place as possible.

suburban from yesterday

attachicon.gifDSCN1098.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1100.JPG

Flare full sized with his friends

attachicon.gifDSCN1174.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1050.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1167.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1197.JPG

If your near scottsdale fashion square, get ahold of me and we can do lunch.

Sounds like a plan. My office is in the airpark so I am pretty close. I am booked for the next couple of weeks so i will message you then.

I was gonna say, the closer to mid August you get the bucks with the doe's will get bigger. I've seen a couple shooters in there , some good mass and cutters on the one.

I was gonna say, the closer to mid August you get the bucks with the doe's will get bigger. I've seen a couple shooters in there , some good mass and cutters on the one.

Essentially, two shooters use the same water. Even tough it's against every fiber of my soul as a hunter, I am considering sitting that water hole until one of them comes in. Unless of course I find Jacques again, then all bets are off.

Another buck that's a little too small

post-4480-0-11388500-1499211120_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Scouting for me is over. I found three bucks I will shoot onsight if I get a chance all living in about a square mile area. Trophyhntr's favorite buck has been eliminated because you could actually road hunt him.

which buck would you go after and why?

Flare

post-4480-0-57109600-1500150613_thumb.jpg

post-4480-0-95714000-1500150693_thumb.jpg

post-4480-0-11182300-1500150780_thumb.jpg

post-4480-0-50353800-1500150920_thumb.jpg

Heart

post-4480-0-72286100-1500151063_thumb.jpg

post-4480-0-80358400-1500151141_thumb.jpg

post-4480-0-14025100-1500151226_thumb.jpg

Jacques

post-4480-0-97706800-1500151360_thumb.jpg

post-4480-0-65602900-1500151519_thumb.jpg

post-4480-0-95116100-1500151609_thumb.jpg

post-4480-0-54813200-1500151668_thumb.jpg

Jacques. His prongs are the longest lengths are the same as the others. He will score the highest. Cool looking too.

I would go road buck first choice.

That could be the easiest archery antelope hunt of all time. took this pic this morning

post-4480-0-92083800-1500227058_thumb.jpg

That could be the easiest archery antelope hunt of all time. took this pic this morning

DSCN1651.JPG

No such thing as an easy archery antelope hunt!

DSCN1651.JPG

No such thing as an easy archery antelope hunt!

This would be the exception to that rule. If he bedded for the night where he normally does and if none of the other four hunters spooked him(two very big ifs). It would simply be walking from your truck about 40 yards, ranging and shooting.

No shame in sitting water for antelope especially if you have them patterned. I understand it not being your style...I don't really like sitting in a blind either and have only tried it once for deer. I went spot n stalk mornings and afternoons and sat water about 10-1 every day based on patterns. Several blown stalks and missed shots. Had lots of action on water too and ended up missing the bigger buck that was coming in and then killed mine on water. Had a blast with the spot n stalk though.