Sign in to follow this  
Vega7LRM

Unit 23 NM Excluding Burros

Drew unit 23 this year on the first rifle hunt. After hunting Unit 27 for the past 5 years we decided it was time for a change. The illegal traffic was just getting too much and after our last couple experiences face to face with armed runners we decided to move areas. I am not looking for any honey holes just more interested in the overall numbers of deer people have been seeing in 23. Also what kind of bucks we can expect to see. Hunting Unit 27 we where generally putting in 5 plus miles before daylight to get in good glassing areas so we totally good to do the same in Unit 23. Any info is much appreciated.

I've hunted that unit once for coues and twice for mulies. We hunted in the Alma/Glenwood area and in the area just north of Mule Creek. Its big country and requires intensive glassing. Just get a little ways from the roads and you should have no problem finding deer. Last time I was there we saw bears almost every day. The time before that we saw more lions than legal bucks. I cant remember how it works in NM, but if I ever go back there to hunt I'm going to have a bear and/or lion tag with me.

Its been quite a while since I've hunted there but I don't think that area changes much.

• Like 1

could be wrong but I think you have to buy your bear tag 5 days prior to hunting

Must purchase two days before hunting. Zone closes when 90% of total bears or 90% of females are taken. So if a zone has 100 total tags and 10 female tags, if the first 9 bears that are killed are female the zone is closed to bear hunting.

• Like 1

Hunted the drainage into the San Francisco river. Huge country. Glass hard and far

• Like 1