Sign in to follow this  
SunDevil

Final trip of the season = 55 yellow tail

just got back from my last trip of the year fishing for yellow tail. 4 of us scored on 55 in 2.5 days of fishing. 15 on day one (half day). 21 in day two and 19 in day three. we let some go, gave some away and still came home with > 200 lbs of fillets. we caught them trolling, jigging and casting lures to fish boiling on the surface. saw sharks, dolphins and a whale. lost several fish to the sea lions. aka taxman. aka stray dogs of the sea. I always tell my friends that when we go to MX you are not allowed to feed the stray dogs otherwise they will not leave you alone. This goes for on land as well as on the water. it was nice and warm down there. a little windy but manageable. Sunday was the nicest day of the weekend but unfortunately we had to come back.

officer at the border asked me if I was bringing anything across. I told him some fish. he asked "a little or a lot". I thought real quick to myself that is a dumb question. a little to me might be a lot to someone else. I looked at him a little funny and quickly replied "medium" at which point he asked me how many pounds? I replied about 50. he gave me our passports back and said "have a nice day". MX has a rule that does not make very much sense. supposedly only 50 lbs of fish per vehicle. does not matter if you are alone or if you have a van full of 8 people. it also is a MX law and I do not understand why US officers feel it is necessary to enforce this. anyway, it was > an hour wait at the border to get back across and I do not think he wanted to mess with sending me through inspection. Thank you!

the freezer is full!!!

we use a wheel barrel to get our fish from the boat to the fillet table. HA

post-268-0-42845700-1493061499_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-97250900-1493061502_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-80385600-1493061506_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Sundevil, I tried to send you a pm but it says you cant receive any more. I had a couple questions if you are fishing out of Lobos.

Want to meet the luckiest fisherman in MX? It is this guy! He had engine problems on Saturday so I towed him in. I asked him if he had any fish but he only had a couple little ones. His wife/girlfriend was with him so props to him for bringing her along. We had plenty of fish so we gave him two 15 lb yellowtail. On Sunday he caught this gold phase leopard grouper. From the research I did, only about 1% of leopard groupers go through the color phase transformation. He caught a once in a lifetime fish!! Hopefully he bought a lottery tix when he got back to the us.

post-268-0-30633900-1493262287_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing Chris. Looks like a lot of fun. Congratulations on some good fishing. :)

TJ