Sign in to follow this  
twigsnapper

20Ga for turkey?

Anybody use them? My wife has tag and a BDay coming up, was thinking about getting her a shotgun but she is a little small for a 12Ga. This would be used for shooting clay pigeons mostly and then an occasional turkey hunt.... Thanks for the input.

Anybody use them? My wife has tag and a BDay coming up, was thinking about getting her a shotgun but she is a little small for a 12Ga. This would be used for shooting clay pigeons mostly and then an occasional turkey hunt.... Thanks for the input.

20 Gauge will work perfect for her....

Buy her the youth 870 20 ga. Put a limb saver pad on it and 3 inch turkey loads. If she can shoot your 12 ga use the limb saver pad on it she will be able to handle the kick for Turkey.

• Like 2

How tall is she? A lot of people make the mistake of getting youth guns for women. Unless she's short, like under 5' 4" she would be better served with a adult size gun with a small reduction on the stock. Second thing about youth guns is they have stubby barrels. No better way to get someone frustrated with wingshooting them handing them an 18" barreled gun. 26" minimum in my opinion. Helps with muzzleblasr and the site plane is much longer and it will swing better. Finally, the 20 ga will kill anything out there but these days with the low recoil ammo available you'd have much more versatility with a 12 ga. You can get low base 7/8 oz 12 ga loads. That is exactly identical to a 20 ga load so the recoil claims people make are invalid. If you want her to have a gun with reduced recoil, a gas auto would reduce recoil far more then a sub guage.

My daughter just killed two turkeys in Kansas with her 20 gauge. Many a turkey has fallen to a 20 gauge over the years and some of the newer 20 gauge turkey loads are out-performing 12 gauge loads. Having said that, I agree with Yotebuster in that if she's tall enough to handle a semi-auto 12 gauge with a 24-16" barrel, that's the route I would go. I'm going to have my daughter try one of my Rem 1100s to see how she can handle it and then will be (hopefully) looking into a semi-auto 12 for her if she can swing it and handle it nice enough.

Thanks guys, she is 5'3" and 110 soaking wet but she does enjoy shooting my buddies 870 20ga. I think I'll go with a 20. Appreciate the help.

• Like 1

Just put a limb saver recoil pad and you should be good.. :D

My buddy's son just shot a turkey this last weekend with a 20ga. He was using some shells with 3 different sized shot loaded in them.

post-1717-0-73752100-1493184853_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

yep- 20 will do the job -

I give semi auto's the thumbs up -- as excitement / and sometimes over whelming impulses can cause problems and on pumps that sometimes doesn't get the action function correct all the time

easier for back up shots and much less recoil -

• Like 1

After years of lugging around a long barreled heavy 12 gauge I made the switch several years ago to a light short 20 and haven't looked back. I actually built one for my daughter and had so much fun shooting it I built one for myself. We've had great luck with the mag blends as well as the Hevi-7's. I will be testing the longbeard 5 and 6's this weekend.

post-216-0-61036200-1493242256_thumb.jpg

• Like 3