PJM

Finally tagged out

This was my 4th turkey hunt and my sons 2nd. I have failed before but learned a lot trying. We've hunted multiple unites, I guess what ever we were lucky to draw.

I'm not a turkey hunt expert, but in my opinion last weekend was still early for the toms as they would only answer calls and not come in. We located a couple toms using hand calls and tried hard for them to come in, but they just got further away. This gave us only one option - locate and stock. That morning we chased the turkeys for an hour before loosing them. After 7 AM the birds stopped taking, we regrouped and formulated the plan for the evening. That afternoon we came back to the location were the located the birds and tried calling again in an effort to find the roost. After seeking in we called and BINGO, a tom answered. My son slowly took off after him and I took a position to cut off the tom. We pushed this tom up the hill till he flew up in his roost. We all heard and saw him fly up in the roost and the stealthy plan to close the distance stared. Well, it did not work. The tom got spooked and flew over the ridge. We chased him again and figured out were he rusted for the night.

Next morning we came back to the location and snuck-in before day light. When legal light was up Matt chirped with the hand call... gobble gobble - we herd two toms answer back. Matt slowly went towards the birds and I paralleled him to intercept the toms if they were going to run. Matt called but the birds stopped answering. He slowly kept inching toward the last location and scanning the tree tops for a roost. After several tense minutes I hear a shot and the yell of celebration. He caught a roosting tom just before the spooked. Seconds after the shot I heard the clumsy flight of a turkey flying towards me. I raised my shot gun and fire...miss, second shot I connect and down the bird. He takes off running and I fire the third head shot. It was a great time making awesome memories.

post-2909-0-42768100-1493660053_thumb.png

• Like 2

Very nice. Great job!

Congratulations to the both of you and thanks for sharing your story it was a great read......

Congrats to both of you! I just got back from my turkey hunt and had the same experience with turkeys responding to our morning calls but going the opposite direction from our calling. We were not successful in downing a turkey but we still had a fine hunt in that we saw and heard turkeys four of our five days of hunting. The one time a turkey was actually coming into our calling two deer came nosily in, stopped, kept looking back and forth to our calling and the turkey. The tom decided to go elsewhere. Darn deer.