Sign in to follow this  
Kilimanjaro

TX Rios

Was fortune enough to hang a couple of tags on some west TX Rio gobblers last month.. Great hunt as usual and lots of very responsive gobbling and LOTS of birds.

I was up in Ohio last week after an Eastern gobbler, but I got skunked and schooled. Tough birds.. I'm 0-2 on Easterns now! Arkansas a few years back and now Ohio.. becoming my nemesis.

I forget just how different these birds are compared to Rios, Merriams and Goulds. A whole other ballgame..

post-323-0-40476600-1493859510_thumb.jpg

post-323-0-21471900-1493859525_thumb.jpg

post-323-0-62895900-1493859537_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Great pictures and gobblers buddy! Congratulations again on a couple fine Toms. You'll get that dang black feathered Eastern eventually.

• Like 1

Nice Birds...Congratulations!!!

• Like 1

Congrats on great birds! I've gotten three Easterns when I lived in Iowa, but Rios are my nemesis! I've made two trips to south Texas chasing them. Missed one bird and had one hang up at 60 yards. I want me Rio from Texas!

• Like 1

Nice birds! The last 2 years back home in Texas have been great with all the rain.

• Like 1

Congrats on great birds! I've gotten three Easterns when I lived in Iowa, but Rios are my nemesis! I've made two trips to south Texas chasing them. Missed one bird and had one hang up at 60 yards. I want me Rio from Texas!

I've found those Eastern birds by far the most difficult. I'm going to give them a go in Georgia next spring and see if I can't seal the deal finally.

They're nothing like a Gould's or Rio!

• Like 1

Nice! With all the hunts you've done it's hard to believe easterns are giving you trouble. Everyone's humbled by something lol.

It's become Eastern turkeys and Az black bears that have been my bane!! Can't close the deal on these things! Lol

I chalk it up to if you hunt enough, you're going to eventually have a hunt or two that just never goes right. Murphy seems to like going with me on these.

• Like 1