Sign in to follow this  
Rag Horn

Scouting 3a3c

I am not asking for help scouting elk. However one thing I cannot scout out or plan for is where the other 400 tag holders will be. Any 3a3c elk hunting veterans willing to help me out with some 3a3c people scouting? Any suggestions on places to avoid? Places that seem great until you have half the tag holders sharing the same gassing spot with you opening morning? People will say get off the roads and hike. That's fair enough; there is A LOT of road access in this unit which makes me feel like it could get too peopley real fast. Elk seem to be spread out across the unit so I don't feel the need to rub shoulders with anyone unnecessarily.

I guess first question I will ask is what hunt you have in 3c with 400 tags? I don't think there is any hunt with over 300. Assuming you're asking about late 3c rifle hunt?

Yes late rifle. Sorry the 400 number was hyperbole. The exact number of tag holders is 275 so the correct number would be 274 other tag holders.

Well that is a grim and bleak forecast. I guess if they aren't my closest friends now they will be after we chase those 25 bulls.

The rim road is tempting, with lots of glassing opportunity but it will be like a highway during your hunt. I would suggest heading more into the cedar country at lower elevations north of the rim.

• Like 1

Pray for snow or lots of rain the day before..if we get it you can track a bull and kill him.

• Like 1

Not trying to bring you down....But that could be the toughest late hunt in the state. With it pushed back a week this yr you can count on snow and wind.....The locals will have the handful of good bulls that are left in the unit patterned....What's left is rag horns and small branch antlered Bulls. Not sure what you hope to get out of the hunt or what size bull your looking for.....Just be ready for long days....Very cold weather and very few Bulls.....

• Like 1

Not trying to bring you down....But that could be the toughest late hunt in the state. With it pushed back a week this yr you can count on snow and wind.....The locals will have the handful of good bulls that are left in the unit patterned....What's left is rag horns and small branch antlered Bulls. Not sure what you hope to get out of the hunt or what size bull your looking for.....Just be ready for long days....Very cold weather and very few Bulls.....

I'm guessing from what I know about Raghorn, two things....he is gonna be excited preparing for the hunt and getting out in the woods and........he isn't going to be too picky about size!!! Just happy to have a tag and who said there would be bulls in the Cedars???? I know where a couple are!!!

Looking forward to kicking the hills with you Raghorn!!!

• Like 2

Man, this is a tough crowd. Everybody acts like the guy drew a 4b tag.

80% of hunters I have known with 3a3c tags hunt 3c. But, late in the year 3a holds more elk than the rest of the time.

I think on Extreme Bulls 3 they kill a bull that's close to 400" on that hunt. They killed him in the timber. Late hunts are tough, but not impossible.

• Like 1

I would love to slap my tag on a 400" bull with 180 degree whale tails and matching drop tines. However I do not spent the requisite time scouting to find and or keep tabs on a bull that big. I will be flinging led at the first bull elk dumb enough to let me get into shooting range. What I am trying to avoid by posting this is I don't want to waste time scouting an area only to realize opening morning that every other idiot tag holder found that same "perfect" spot. Then be scrambling opening morning for plan E, F, and G. There are some trap spots out there. They seem great scouting because you are alone but the same thing that attracted you there also attracted everyone else. The seasoned veterans always know where those trap areas are.

Ya don't be discouraged, that's a good tag, I see bulls in that unit all year round, the weather is not bad late in the year, this year we got more snow than normal but it was never enough to keep you from hunting. Road access is an issue but hunters can't be in two places at ounce. Do some scouting and find some thick areas that have sign. There will be elk in there to hunt. There's no way to predict where the pressure might be.

Mulepackhunter is right about pressure, with one exception about 1/4 will be working the Rim road from Pinedale to 260 looking for Bulls moving on and off the Res line... Nothing wrong with that late tag and possibility at quality bulls... IMO getting some scouting N of the 260 would be a good thing.

• Like 1