naturebob

My 35 A hunt

Okay here is the story. while I lived in N. Dakota for allmost 5 years I just built up bonus points. It worked out perfect, after a year back here I Drew my first Goulds tag. i went sol and borrowed my roomates primitive 12 guage.. it was broken in 2 spts and missing plastic parts, rusted, and I said perfect, just like my old one I had years ago I never missed a bird untill I bought a new Bennelli..Give Me the old single shot gun agaian, it was like a dream come true, This gun was just like my old one. As all My buddies who I turned on to Turkeys were up in unit one {I don't ever need help on turkey's anyway)I went solo to 35A. Had only been there once on a leftover coues tag last Nov. Beautiful country I was hunting about 5000 ft. level, my guess, with the Ft. huachucha Mts. above me. Very dry down there. Warden said they didn't get the winter precip. like we did up north here. On the way down Thurs nite I stopped in Tucson to get drugs for my allergies and I went to the Carnercaria across the street for groceries. Used the bathroom and left my phone in there I realized about 15 miles down I 10. I was not going back. So I was ina bad mood but said to my self its only a dang phone, don't let it ruin your hunt. So It didn't. I was late but found my camp spot in the dark and got 6 hours sleep. Ready to go after sleeping in the bed of my truck. I took nothing, no lantern, no stove baiscally a blanket and pillow.A gentleman from this site told me stop and camp at the first site you see on the left. as the birds were roosting by the 2nd campsite. I woke up and started walking down the dead end road you see a picture of. I was in moon light. I got about a mile down and let out a yelp, got a gobble,2 ravines over. Maybee 300 yards. I moved that way and he was coming my way. Coouldn't cross the 2nd ditch.he was to close. I saw his fan coming and it was bigger than I have seen in 25 years of turkey hunting.It put chills even on a veteren turkey hunter. I thought it was 40 or so yards across but it was obviously wrong. He strutted to the edge of the ravine and I lost my cool , I couldn't wait for him to com down across. He might not have ,but I screwed up by not giving him a chance. I shot and missed. I preach patience to young hunter and I didn't use it myself. He was so hot he probaly would of came. He was huge and it got me. Hunt would have been done in 20 minutes. I played with a few thru out the day with no more shots. I did see one at 2 pm cross the road asI drove some as I was getting sore and tired. He was at the little water seep in a drainage that you see in the one picture.. It was very dry and water was important. So next morning I walked to that water spot. It was about 1 mile, I heard no gobbles along the way. Bumbed me out but stay positive.I sat at the seep and called and had a hen 200 yards left and right. No gobbles. After about10 min. got a gobble in between about 300 yards out. the next time I heard him he was 400 out. I said to myself lets go get him. Today I am the smarter old Turkey hunter.. I went quick straight at him ,Got to about 70-80 yards in the junipers and game on. I called he gobbled but stayed there for 10 minutes. Then he slow y worked my way as we talked to each other. I saw him coming to the left and I am left handed so I had to move a little to the left. I generraly don't use decoy's so he came in looking all over. If they don't see anything soon a mature bird will take off. .Ajke willstay and look around. You generally have about 5- 10 seconds and they boogie. I waited 3 and gamea over. What a fun hunt. Met the game Manager for the unit and what a true proffesional She is.Young kid andvery talented. Works with you and makes you feel good as a hunter. Most game rangers come up to you and try to make you feel guilty of something......Thanks for reading. great hunt. It should be once in a life time. for this hunt.No repeat tags as it is special..........BOB! .

post-4458-0-39485900-1494293530_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-87287800-1494293566_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-98971500-1494293618_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-00721100-1494293661_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-29312700-1494293711_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-97755200-1494293760_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-95536600-1494293915_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-05576900-1494293975_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-87494500-1494294029_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Rotated pics and they came out sideways . Sorry don't know how to fix, and I look old and tired. I was ,Allergies killin Me. Lucky I went. Lottsa Meds......BOB!

• Like 1

Congratulation!!!...Great pics!

• Like 1

Congrats on the bird Bob! That hunt is something special. I think I saw you drive by our camp a couple of times

• Like 1

Way to go Bob! Congrats on an awesome bird!

Only two more to go to catch me. 😉😂😂

Brian

• Like 1

I will never catch You. Brian No one will. A lot better being down South with no pressure. I heard unit 1 was a zoo.....BOB

I will never catch You. Brian No one will. A lot better being down South with no pressure. I heard unit 1 was a zoo.....BOB

it is really nice down there. That's why I continue the put in for it.

Brian

• Like 1

Congrats Bob! Glad you had such a good hunt and were successful in harvesting such a beautiful bird.

• Like 1

Congrats on a great bird! I'm hoping that will finally be me next spring!

• Like 2

Congratulations on your beautiful Goulds Bob!

• Like 1

Thats to bad unit 1 has been ruined. My buddies said all my old spots are full of people. I have not been there in 7 years since before I went to N Dakota for 5 years. I know th 2 fires up there has cause havoc but hard to believe everyone has to hunt the same areas.I also hear of the large # of junior hunters and families with 3-4 kids all killing year after year. G& F needs to acess the situation. It was a premium turkey hunt for 20 years for me. I am all for kid hunters but got to limit it some how.and or less tags for adults.........BOB!.