• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Rag Horn

Rag Horn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

What do I do next? Here is what I want to accomplish and what I have done. I have an exact instance in mind when asking this question but I am looking for “in general” advice. I know weather, time of year, hunting pressure, the rut, the moon, and the price of rice in China all change elk movement patterns so I am looking for a conceptual answer not a hard fast rule.

I know it is June but this same scenario will apply any time of the year.

I want to try to pattern a group of bulls that I have trail cam pics of. I have been to the area at different times of the day and have seen evidence of elk but never laid an eye on a live elk.

I have successfully gotten trail camera pictures of a group of bulls. They regularly cross paths with my trail camera between midnight and 1 am. The problem is I cannot hunt those hours of the day. I need to know where these elk are during shooting light. All I know for sure is they cross my camera spot at that time of day. I don’t know where they come from or where they go after they pass by. How do I go about figuring this out?

I think I would like to place a couple of cameras in the surrounding area to try to catch them somewhere else and then make a timeline and direction of travel. Any suggestions on placement and distance between cameras; or other Elk scouting techniques that would serve me well to solve my problem.

Notes : water availability is not an issue – there are not any drastic elevation changes in the area – game trails criss cross the area – feed seems to be evenly distributed throughout the immediate area.   

#2 5guyshunting

5guyshunting

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts
  • Interests:Elk alot, and everything else.
Enjoy the pics of the bulls and keep your eyes on the cows. Assuming this is an early hunt.
5 guys

#3 Rag Horn

Rag Horn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Enjoy the pics of the bulls and keep your eyes on the cows. Assuming this is an early hunt.

no it is the late rifle bull tag... so i know stuff will change but assume this is the scenario happens to me in late November. 

#4 Hoss50

Hoss50

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Interests:Being outdoors doing hobbies I love. Rock crawling, offroading, hunting, and camping.

What unit?

#5 JBenz63

JBenz63

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Those bulls will probably pack up and head over that Res line by the end of the September hunt. Assuming you're talking about 3a/3c. That's just personal experience from last years. Talking with locals is your best bet. I know we have some advance members on this site from there. Maybe they could point you in the right direction?

#6 wildwoody

wildwoody

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,500 posts
  • Interests:hunting , fishing, outdoor sports, and helping others

Now that is a question ....

#7 trphyhntr

trphyhntr

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts
you don't pattern elk, elk pattern you

#8 Rag Horn

Rag Horn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

What unit?

3a3c

#9 Rag Horn

Rag Horn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

you don't pattern elk, elk pattern you

Lol That has been my experience.

#10 couesmagnet

couesmagnet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Interests:harvesting giant bulls and bucks

Don't waste your time scouting for the late rifle hunts till about 3 weeks before your hunt. Scouting before november is just a waste of time and money 

pretty much. Just my opinion.

#11 Chris

Chris

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Couesmagnet, is correct.

#12 Rag Horn

Rag Horn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Don't waste your time scouting for the late rifle hunts till about 3 weeks before your hunt. Scouting before november is just a waste of time and money 

Fair enough and probably accurate and very good info. I still have to ask what would I do if I am 2 weeks away from my hunt and I am in this senerio?

#13 couesmagnet

couesmagnet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Interests:harvesting giant bulls and bucks

Find the nastiest country you can glass and annihilate it with your scouting time. In a nutshell.

#14 hawkens

hawkens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:hunting ,hiking ,camping ,fishing anything outdoors and especially with family Rodeos and Bullriding
Scout the unit learn where all the roads , tanks , glassing points are ,seeing elk is a bonus

#15 wish2hunt

wish2hunt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Fair enough and probably accurate and very good info. I still have to ask what would I do if I am 2 weeks away from my hunt and I am in this senerio?
Move your cameras about 200 yds. a day until you find out where they are going.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users