Sign in to follow this  
Rag Horn

How do I "Pattern" Elk

I am curious about the "resident" herds? Not in 3C but over at Alpine watching how those elk come and go! Having hunted early archery and late rifle! I was off in some of the steepest roughest country unit 27 has to offer not seeing one bull while my family sat by a warm fire at the cabin watching bulls in the meadow 😳

I am not very experienced in bull behavior but IMO the "resident" bulls won't go too far!

Now that Rez line in 3c ain't that far and for sure some rough country and dang that fence line anyway!!!!

• Like 1

Big bulls tend to find the smallest nasty spot they can. It doesn't have to be way back in. It just needs to have little human traffic. A big bull will live in a very small area once he settles in for the winter unless he gets bumped out.

• Like 3

Don't waste your time scouting for the late rifle hunts till about 3 weeks before your hunt. Scouting before november is just a waste of time and money

pretty much. Just my opinion.

Fair enough and probably accurate and very good info. I still have to ask what would I do if I am 2 weeks away from my hunt and I am in this senerio?
Move your cameras about 200 yds. a day until you find out where they are going.

Good point. Or, you could get a Plot Watcher, and hook it up high enough over the area to get a "Field" view. You'll see them come in and out of the zone.

• Like 1

Don't waste your time scouting for the late rifle hunts till about 3 weeks before your hunt. Scouting before november is just a waste of time and money

pretty much. Just my opinion.

Fair enough and probably accurate and very good info. I still have to ask what would I do if I am 2 weeks away from my hunt and I am in this senerio?
Move your cameras about 200 yds. a day until you find out where they are going.

Good point. Or, you could get a Plot Watcher, and hook it up high enough over the area to get a "Field" view. You'll see them come in and out of the zone.

Man I never heard of a Plot watcher camera I had to look it up. Very cool.

Raghorn......remember those bulls we had patterned north of the highway up until opening morning!!! :D :D :D

Oh man do I remember. Lol I remember half the tag holders knew the pattern too.