Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

Buffalo comment period

Sorry I don't have a link but game and fish web site it's easy to find. Read up on proposals for reducing the herd on park lands. Jay Scott has a great podcast on the issue as well. Of course our leader want to pay for lethal removal rather than have hunts. Outfitters want to get them to move off the park more by eliminating water on the park then let hunters have tags and make money. Win win right?

I have no desire to hunt buffalo but I sent my 2cents

Interested parties can still submit comments electronically on the PEPC website through June 14, 2017 at https://parkplanning.nps.gov/grca_bison. Parties can also submit comments via U.S. Postal Service at Grand Canyon National Park, PO Box 129, Attn: Bison Management Plan EA, Grand Canyon, AZ 86023.

The purpose of the actions evaluated in the EA are to (1) quickly reduce bison population density on the Kaibab Plateau through collaborative efforts and (2) protect Grand Canyon National Park resources and values from the impacts of a steadily growing bison population.

According to a NPS news release, the NPS would work together with cooperating agencies and partners through the preferred alternative to reduce the bison herd to fewer than 200 animals using lethal culling with skilled volunteers and non-lethal capture and removal.

A management action that is not included in the Park Services preferred alternative is reducing the bison herd through public hunting. The Arizona Game and Fish Commission and Department have consistently advocated for a model that uses properly licensed hunters as a management tool and allows the hunter to keep the animal.

Several of the proposed actions in the Park Service EA will cost taxpayers far more than lethal removal by citizen hunters who would pay for the opportunity to assist the NPS, said Arizona Game and Fish Commission member Kurt Davis. That option would provide additional hunting opportunities consistent with the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation and help to properly manage the bison population and protect park resources.

The following is from a recent bill put forth by gosar. The language is confusing but it looks like they are taking common sense into account and there will be tags for in park buffalo.

Specifically, the act would require both the U.S. Department of Interior and the Arizona Game and Fish Commission to coordinate on a plan to manage the bison population utilizing volunteer sportsmen holding a valid state-issued hunting license. The volunteers would then be allowed to cull bison and remove the harvested animal from the park.

• Like 6