Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas80

Hunters Ed Classes

My daughter has been on me for a while about getting her through hunters ed, she says she wants to hunt. Wouldn't hurt to get my wife through the course to up her BP's. This is my first time even contemplating hunters ed since the 20 years ago that I took it. (Ouch that hurt to say).

Pffft

Year I took it, Viet Nam, Nixon reelected, The Doors called it quits. Had to keep our atlatls pointed in a safe direction...

Yeah mine was in 72. So old they won’t give me the bonus point! Say I have to take it again for bonus point????

My daughter has been on me for a while about getting her through hunters ed, she says she wants to hunt. Wouldn't hurt to get my wife through the course to up her BP's. This is my first time even contemplating hunters ed since the 20 years ago that I took it. (Ouch that hurt to say).

Pffft

Year I took it, Viet Nam, Nixon reelected, The Doors called it quits. Had to keep our atlatls pointed in a safe direction...

Yeah mine was in 72. So old they won’t give me the bonus point! Say I have to take it again for bonus point????

I declare bull spit!. How many men have you killed hunting, Wink? Will another class make you safer?

I honestly don't remember the year I took the course, '72 or '73.

Shame it is so complicated to get a class. Took mine in 1964

• Like 3

Took mine in 1989 in flagstaff I was nine but birthday in September meant I could hunt that year general season. This thread really takes me back my son will be ready next year he'll be ten in November guess late hunts will be our choices

Took mine in 1989 in flagstaff I was nine but birthday in September meant I could hunt that year general season. This thread really takes me back my son will be ready next year he'll be ten in November guess late hunts will be our choices

He'll turn 10 this coming November, or November 2019? If 2019, keep in touch and we can get him in the winter Flagstaff Class this coming February (2019).

Shame it is so complicated to get a class. Took mine in 1964

Jesus! Was it at the the old town church?

Alamo, pre-seige.
  • Like 1

Pffft

I declare bull spit!. How many men have you killed hunting, Wink? Will another class make you safer?

I honestly don't remember the year I took the course, '72 or '73.

Don't know the reasoning except more revenue for them. I hung out when my son took it and they showed the same films I saw in 72???? Of course it was the DVD version for him instead of the old projector!

Not till 2019... if they take the class at nine but turn ten by their hunt date they are legal correct?

Correct. I usually organize our winter class up here and its usually mid/early Feb (after Super Bowl). If you're willing to drive and can't find one local down there, let me know.

• Like 1

Both my son and I knocked ours out this past year. I lucked out with a field day that was made available at the Ben Avery outdoor expo after completing the online test. I took my son to the classes held at Bass Pro Mesa which is almost an hour drive for us and then had one of the instructors show mercy on us by giving me advance notice when a field day opened up at Ben Avery. I recall him saying that class was posted on that Tuesday before 6:00am and filled within 15min.... It's beyond a total PITA! I won't even get started on the material that they cover. Glad it's done.

Pffft

And now, Tim, I know why we aren't allowed to use atlatls for demonstrations anymore! Thanks alot! :D :P

• Like 1

I'm about to dive into trying to figure this out for my 9 year old who turns 10 December 27th. I don't know how the rules go now but I'd love to be able to put him in for junior javelina but what are the chances. I don't know the rules if you have to take the field day once you're 10 I'm doubting I'm going to find a field day after the holidays and before that third week in January. Not sure how the rules go I think you're allowed to take the class before you're 10 you have to graduate when you're ten or something there's any clarification. I know with my older kids because it was a two-week class and my older kids were one week with me in one week not I ended up going to Camp Verde and doing the class there because they had it all in one week and then the 4th or 5th day whatever it was as the field day and that worked out really awesome I wish there was more of those

I'm about to dive into trying to figure this out for my 9 year old who turns 10 December 27th. I don't know how the rules go now but I'd love to be able to put him in for junior javelina but what are the chances. I don't know the rules if you have to take the field day once you're 10 I'm doubting I'm going to find a field day after the holidays and before that third week in January. Not sure how the rules go I think you're allowed to take the class before you're 10 you have to graduate when you're ten or something there's any clarification. I know with my older kids because it was a two-week class and my older kids were one week with me in one week not I ended up going to Camp Verde and doing the class there because they had it all in one week and then the 4th or 5th day whatever it was as the field day and that worked out really awesome I wish there was more of those

Kids can take, pass, and graduate from the class when they are 9. They will be issued their HE card within about 30 days of completion of the class (usually); however, the card is not valid in AZ until their 10th birthday. If you get your kid into a class now, go for it. Absolutely go for it. We sometimes have an online field day in early January up here in Flagstaff to catch those kids with javelina tags that still don't have their HE completion, but that's weather permitting. If I'd have known you needed a class for your almost youngest, I would have sent you the info for our upcoming campout class. The class is full and has a waiting list, so we likely can't get you in. But definitely start looking for classes in the valley asap. There are usually several held at Ben Avery and the instructors are usually pretty good.

• Like 1

Just got a email from the Globe-Miami Gun Club, they are having a hunter ed class the first week in Aug, with the range day on Sunday Aug 5th.

• Like 1