Sign in to follow this  
nateNAU

South Africa 2017

I was lucky enough to get an opportunity to hunt the northern cape this year on a work trip. It was my first trip to Africa. We hunted obout 500,000 acres of De Beers diamond mine property with Madabula Safaris. No fence, free range Africa at its finest. I was lucky enough to harvest a springbok, blesbok, red hartebeest, warthog and grey duiker, all with a handgun.

post-3397-0-47097200-1497352230_thumb.jpg

post-3397-0-97993400-1497352275_thumb.jpg

post-3397-0-28256900-1497352328_thumb.jpg

post-3397-0-02728800-1497352370_thumb.jpg

post-3397-0-10487800-1497352447_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Is where you work hiring? Congrats. Looks like fun.

Haha! Custom gun maker. It's product testing!

Even better sign me up!

I'll even change my name to CaseyNAU!

Congrats! That is a freaking cool handgun!!!!!!

Caliber & handgun details?

The guns is a T/C g2 with a custom barrel we made chambered in our proprietary caliber called a 280gnr. It's a 405 Winchester necked down to 7mm. Nearly same case capacity as a 7 rem mag but it's rimmed so no extraction problems in a single shot. Bullet was a 140gr Barnes ttsx. All animals were 200-220yards except for the grey duiker which was 65 yards. Recoils like a 38 spl. 30/06 on left for comparison.

post-3397-0-20031500-1497378483_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Would love to do it with my 460 s&w hunter, thanks for sharing and thanks for smiling so the crazy's don't go postal on you..

You mentioned you hunted on a deBeers property. Was it the Rooipoort Estate near Kimberley? I did a lot of hunting there with friends and without a PH during the 1980s.

Bill Quimby

The guns is a T/C g2 with a custom barrel we made chambered in our proprietary caliber called a 280gnr. It's a 405 Winchester necked down to 7mm. Nearly same case capacity as a 7 rem mag but it's rimmed so no extraction problems in a single shot. Bullet was a 140gr Barnes ttsx. All animals were 200-220yards except for the grey duiker which was 65 yards. Recoils like a 38 spl. 30/06 on left for comparison.

You part of the Reeder crew? I acquired an SW in 356 GNR second hand years ago. To this day it's my favorite pistol!!

You part of the Reeder crew? I acquired an SW in 356 GNR second hand years ago. To this day it's my favorite pistol!!
I am. Been working there for 14 years. 356gnr is one of my favorite rounds in a revolver. Lots of power in a little package.

Thats sweet

You mentioned you hunted on a deBeers property. Was it the Rooipoort Estate near Kimberley? I did a lot of hunting there with friends and without a PH during the 1980s.

Bill Quimby

Yes. It was Rooipoort. What an amazing place. Unfortunately we might have been some of the last people to hunt there. I guess after the whole Cecil thing, Debeers is caving to the do-gooders and is closing some areas to hunting. They just closed an area called Venetia, on the boarder of Kruger nat. Park and I guess Rooipoort is next on the chopping block.