Sign in to follow this  
nateNAU

South Africa 2017

The guns is a T/C g2 with a custom barrel we made chambered in our proprietary caliber called a 280gnr. It's a 405 Winchester necked down to 7mm. Nearly same case capacity as a 7 rem mag but it's rimmed so no extraction problems in a single shot. Bullet was a 140gr Barnes ttsx. All animals were 200-220yards except for the grey duiker which was 65 yards. Recoils like a 38 spl. 30/06 on left for comparison.

Are you using a standard G2 frame? If so, any concerns about stretching the frame?

The guns is a T/C g2 with a custom barrel we made chambered in our proprietary caliber called a 280gnr. It's a 405 Winchester necked down to 7mm. Nearly same case capacity as a 7 rem mag but it's rimmed so no extraction problems in a single shot. Bullet was a 140gr Barnes ttsx. All animals were 200-220yards except for the grey duiker which was 65 yards. Recoils like a 38 spl. 30/06 on left for comparison.

Are you using a standard G2 frame? If so, any concerns about stretching the frame?

Zero concerns. We have built encore and contender barrels in every caliber under the sun and the only thing that will hurt a g2 are belted magnums with factory equvilent loads. I have one contender barrel in 500 nitro express and the barrel and frame are doing fine even after a few hundred rounds.

• Like 1

There was another large property that bordered Rooipoort in the 1980s that we also hunted a lot. It was owned by a German consortium and managed by a German caretaker who gave my friends in Kimberley and me access. Professional hunters were not required under RSA law then and it was like hunting in Arizona. As a guest of DeBeers, there were no trophy fees or daily rates. Those days are gone forever.

Bill Quimby