So I have a cousin that lives in Cortez, CO. Unit 73 I believe. She says there are elk everywhere near her since she does live in the San Juan Mountains I believe. I am thinking about doing a DIY OTC late rifle hunt there. Anyone have knowledge or experience with the area? I plan on making a few scouting trips this summer and in the fall.

If it's a OTC it means there will be a Sea of orange! And a big handful of people who are going to hike in as well. If your ok with that, then you still get to go elk hunting!!! :).

But you do need a hunter safety course to hunt in CO

Ya that's the only thing that's kept me from going, I keep saying I'm headed up but when I start researching I hear that they get a lot of traffic. Just be ready to move from spot to spot if there are high numbers.

I've hunted a number of areas around there, recently. It'll be a sea of hunters whichever season you choose. Tough to get away from people in that corner of Colorado because there's so many roads and almost no wilderness. And the wildernesses are packed because that's where everyone goes that want to avoid other hunters. But there's definitely elk to be had! Can't kill one if you stay home.

• Like 2

Any place you go where its OTC is full of people thats just the way it is anymore, but at least you will

be hunting. OTC hunts are fun you just have to be in the mindset you are not goint to be alone!!

Anymore its getting harder & harder to draw good tags so you might as well go & enjoy the

outdoors & if you get an elk its an added bonus. Just my 2 cents.

Just to clarify, your AZGF hunter education card is good in Colorado. You don't have to take a Colorado one. And....It could also be a Sea of Pink this year as well. They passed a law that allows flo pink instead of orange.

Was that done for female hunters or do they plan on shooting a hunting episode of Queer Eye For The Straight Guy?

• Like 3

Just to clarify, your AZGF hunter education card is good in Colorado. You don't have to take a Colorado one. And....It could also be a Sea of Pink this year as well. They passed a law that allows flo pink instead of orange.

Also most other states are allowed as well.

I know my 1978 one from washington state was allowed to be used in colorado in the 1990's. I couldnt get into a class in AZ fast enough when we decided to goto colorado hunting.

we have hunted white river wilderness, some other wilderness area north of the big valley north of Grand mesa, Grand mesa(most fun) wenemuchi (sp) wilderness area north of durango.

We always shad fun on there hunts, bring a fishing pole and a sling shot for grouse.

we never seen very many people in any of these areas except the one wilderness area I forgot the name of. we hiked up saw no one. the day after opener there was atcs all over the freaking place. still didnt see anyone while out hunting just along the trails.

Oh yeah I forgot about the wenimuchi wilderness hunt. That was an interesting one. a buddy put us about 20 miles north of the wilderness, he took us in on horses.( all the others we hiked in) so a good friend of mine and I couldnt find a freaking elk or sign tons of deer. in glassing we found them on one of the mountain years snow banks laying in the hot 90º sun he and I hiked all day to get up there. we still had maybe 5 miles to go by 4pm in some of the nastiest walk crap we had hiked in, so said screw it hunted back to camp. as we are getting close (to 2-3 miles) camp we start seeing people freaking everywhere. I'm not talking 1-2 groups I am talking 20-40 groups.

were like WTF it was dark and we could see anythign but flashlights and we thought we saw some car lights. But hey thats impossible right its a wilderness area and we were 20 miles from the nearest entry point. next morning early dark 30 we leave earlier and start back up to the glacier. people everywhere (again the lights tipped us off) about 8 miles into the hike we bump into some other hunters. after the usual bs we asked were there camped at and taht we were camped about 8 miles down the way took a 20 mile horseback ride to get there and planned on being there for 8 days. they laughed and said they drove in. were like WTF, they informed us that there was a plane crash about a month earlier and a small fire. the FS plowed a road to get to wreckage and to make sure fire was out. So the day after the season started they opened the gate and let hunters in the area.

next 3 days we said f-it buddy came up and got us. went o his ranch and shot some whitetails then drove back home to Az.

still a fun hunt, but kinda disappointing at the same time. we did laugh about it all the way home

Went last year for four days. Never laid eyes on a living bull, orange everywhere and more guides than you can imagine using horses to haul people in away from the road. Only saw two people with dead ones.

It can be done but it's real tough.

We hunted around Delores, not far from Cortez

First and second OTC hunts are combined hunts with close to half being MD hunters.

1st draw and combined rifle hunts will have pushed most legal bulls into the dozens and dozens of canyons. You need to be willing to go after them and will definitely need help packing them out.

73 late could be really good if there is snow.

I personally have always hunted the first draw; elk only, less people and first crack. Plus you can draw with no preference points in most units.

Most definitely go have a good time and let us know how it went.

You can definitely get away from folks in CO. I backpacked into a wilderness last year for the archery hunt and in 8 days, we saw 3 other hunters. Mind you, they were on the trail, as was anyone else in the area. When we were actually hunting off trail, we ran into one guy, that's it. If you're willing to put the work in, you can do it.

• Like 1

I went to southwest Colorado for OTC elk about 20 years ago. Hiked in 2 miles into a wilderness area. There was an orange blob everywhere you looked come opening morning. I came home halfway through the season in frustration.

Hello I am considering OTC Bull Elk, I am 55 never been drawn for Archery bull, it is on my bucket list so I have an opportunity to hunt in unit 75 near Durango, near Lemon Res. while I can still get around pretty well!

Too hard to get drawn here in AZ.

I have never hunted in Colorado but want to give it my best.

Has anyone hunted in this area?

Thank you

Lemon resovior you will need horses or plan on hiking straight up hill for miles. I'm up here now and went to lemon for a little fishing and scouting. Only glassed one cow elk on private. Been classing all week near the area and have not seen any other elk. The area all around lemon and vallecito is weimunich wilderness. We hiked 3 miles today to get to 11500 in elevation and glasses some nice high country bucks. I must admit in this area I have only glassed 2 bulls in the last 3 years coming up here. There are in here but tough to find and like someone else mentioned a lot of hunters. A better area for elk is beaver meadows same unit just a little east of lemon.