Sign in to follow this  
truehunter

2017 Buffalo House Rock Ranch

I want to hear from another unguided hunter. Seems like one agressive paying client bashing a non paying hunter. The whole az bison situation is a shlt show....NOBODY can deny that. You HAVE to admit though that it definitely crosses the legal boundaries and a conflict of interest. Is Russ a paid G&F employee? My guess is no. Does AZGF do everything in their power to bring him clients? Yes. How does a man who is not "employed" by azgf, but mossbackaz put on the buffalo clinic legally? Could you imagine if the sheep clinic was put on by A3 or AZDO? Heads would explode. I have never had any contact with Russ, nor will I but you cannot honestly say that he does'nt try his best to sway the hunters into paying for a guided hunt. Sure he buys salt/blinds/cameras. It is an INVESTMENT. Same as a contractor buys tools to help him do better work and get more business. It's economics 101. If there was zero capital return, Russ Jacoby would have absolutely nothing to do with those buffalo. He figured out a way to monopolize a hunt and did. Cut and dry.

• Like 2

I want to hear from another unguided hunter. Seems like one agressive paying client bashing a non paying hunter. The whole az bison situation is a shlt show....NOBODY can deny that. You HAVE to admit though that it definitely crosses the legal boundaries and a conflict of interest. Is Russ a paid G&F employee? My guess is no. Does AZGF do everything in their power to bring him clients? Yes. How does a man who is not "employed" by azgf, but mossbackaz put on the buffalo clinic legally? Could you imagine if the sheep clinic was put on by A3 or AZDO? Heads would explode. I have never had any contact with Russ, nor will I but you cannot honestly say that he does'nt try his best to sway the hunters into paying for a guided hunt. Sure he buys salt/blinds/cameras. It is an INVESTMENT. Same as a contractor buys tools to help him do better work and get more business. It's economics 101. If there was zero capital return, Russ Jacoby would have absolutely nothing to do with those buffalo. He figured out a way to monopolize a hunt and did. Cut and dry.

I am interested to hear what legal boundaries it crosses?

And actually, what I am seeing here is one whiny non-paying guy who refused to cooperate with 11 other hunters and then blamed everyone but himself for being the guy who didn't tag out.

Greyghost how many firsthand accounts have you listened to about the hunt? I know a few people who have done it, 'True Hunter' is the only one who has accused Russ of all this mess. I have no loyalty to Russ and wouldn't know the guy from Adam but when someone comes around challenging a mans integrity and character, I think we have to ask some reasonable questions.

But hey, lots of folks on here are happy to find any reason to bash on any guide. And as far as the clinics, lots of guides put on clinics in conjunction with AZGFD. McClendon has done elk, Jay Scott and Darr have done elk and turkey, I think Lopeman had done elk. That's nothing new and no one' ahead has exploded yet, except a few turkeys on Jay's hunt videos.

• Like 1

My dad works with Russ at his day job in Flagstaff. I'm not going to say where, as I don't want to put his personal info online. I garentee the Buff hunts are a drop in the bucket to what he makes at his day job. From my understanding he uses every scrap of personal and vacation time to do the Buff hunts. Sounds to me like a man with a huge hunting passion, kind of like a lot on this forum. Everyone who says money is behind the whole situation truly do not know what they are talking about. The game and fish work with Russ because he is the only guide who has devoted the time. Anyone who doesn't like how he does thing can get a guide licence put in the hours, get the clients, and give others another option.

• Like 1

The sheep and buffalo clinic are like no other game animal so don't try to compare apples to bananas. The man made a monopoly on the buff hunts and you cannot disagree. If you hunt bison, you hunt through Russ, plain and simple. If you don't pay Russ, you don't get the same opportunity as someone who does. How do people think this is ok? Smh. How in the heII do us so called conservationists and fair chase hunters advocate this? What if one guy was the gate keeper for sheep hunts and if you didn't pay him, your chances of killing a sheep drastically declined? I do not doubt that buffalo hold a special spot in the man's heart but come on! This is black and white

• Like 2

So have you been there? Know anyone personally who has?

If not, well, you just don't know what you are talking about.

I know multiple people that have been there in recent years. Both guided and unguided and they all say near identical to what i did when the dust settles. I am not a keyboard warrior or some chump that doesn't know anything. Things need to change in regards to AZ bison hunts and i feel that even king Russ himself would agree.

After reading all of this and talking to 3 different hunters who used Russ and were not happy, I'm leaning more to supporting the federal snipers to come and eliminate the herd. End all of this BS.

I agree with you greyghost. Pretty obvious. I have talked to many people in the same vote that have had issues but don't say anything as to not get bashed. As soon as you post something against what most people on here you will be called names a liar a crybaby or that you don't know what your talking about.

So have you been there? Know anyone personally who has?

If not, well, you just don't know what you are talking about.

I personally know someone that hunted there and other than the shooting his shoulder part it was just like truehuntr said said his buddy had to stay in camp.
  • Like 1

so what happens if a guy draws a buffalo tag shows up to hunt and doesn't even engage Ross and Company what's the repercussion why is it so taboo to go up there and not hang out with that crowd

• Like 1

so what happens if a guy draws a buffalo tag shows up to hunt and doesn't even engage Ross and Company what's the repercussion why is it so taboo to go up there and not hang out with that crowd

No Russ. My wife's uncle, 2015 if I remember correctly. Was hunting solo and had the think half packed out before his son arrived 8 hours later to help.

post-3397-0-85007200-1499992084_thumb.png

• Like 1

I had the spring hunt last year, jan 1st thru june 30th 2016 i hunted 21 days total off and on. on the 21st day i harvested a real nice bull. i did have multiple phone conversations with Russ for about the first 3 weeks of my hunt. He was very informative and was insistent that i go by his camp and talk to the guys, i never did until the last week i was up there at the end of that week i took my bull. i did cut one day hunting short to help one of his clients break his bull down and pack it to his truck along with the hunter and one of Russ's guys from camp. i didn't help to gain anything from Russ or his camp. I helped because that's what sportsman do i guess. He was a fellow hunter with a very large animal down and needed some help and we worked on it until well after dark besides i just wanted to see a buffalo, alive or dead. I still hunted most of the time, found a lot of fresh sign and trails along the park boundary and i'm sure it was a matter of time before i would come across a buffalo. I came across and sat a few salt stations and water holes that were not being occupied by other hunters and still nothing but that's hunting. later i found out those spots are very productive. I did finally stop by camp one morning about 4 am and was told to sit a spot until i kill a buffalo and i did, both. Sitting in a blind for hours is not my thing and most the hunters you talk to up there will tell you they feel the same way. I said all that to say this. In my opinion only, Russ and his camp are very accommodating with all buffalo hunters more so with paying clients. He's a guide he has to treat his clients better but from my experience he tries to take care of everyone. i was even invited for lunch on two occasions and supper on another. He has a satellite phone up there for anyone to use. When i shot my bull some guys from his camp came to help me out, i did not ask for their help but they came anyway, if they had not i would have been SCREWED! The main goal is to harvest buffalo and that's what is being done. It is not a typical hunt everyone should know that going in and anyone can hunt the way they want but those guys have set it up to harvest buffalo. If the government steps in on the park the opportunity to draw a tag may be less than it is now. I don't ever post comments or reply to any, i thought i had to on this topic though. Thanks for your time!

• Like 6

I had the spring hunt last year, jan 1st thru june 30th 2016 i hunted 21 days total off and on. on the 21st day i harvested a real nice bull. i did have multiple phone conversations with Russ for about the first 3 weeks of my hunt. He was very informative and was insistent that i go by his camp and talk to the guys, i never did until the last week i was up there at the end of that week i took my bull. i did cut one day hunting short to help one of his clients break his bull down and pack it to his truck along with the hunter and one of Russ's guys from camp. i didn't help to gain anything from Russ or his camp. I helped because that's what sportsman do i guess. He was a fellow hunter with a very large animal down and needed some help and we worked on it until well after dark besides i just wanted to see a buffalo, alive or dead. I still hunted most of the time, found a lot of fresh sign and trails along the park boundary and i'm sure it was a matter of time before i would come across a buffalo. I came across and sat a few salt stations and water holes that were not being occupied by other hunters and still nothing but that's hunting. later i found out those spots are very productive. I did finally stop by camp one morning about 4 am and was told to sit a spot until i kill a buffalo and i did, both. Sitting in a blind for hours is not my thing and most the hunters you talk to up there will tell you they feel the same way. I said all that to say this. In my opinion only, Russ and his camp are very accommodating with all buffalo hunters more so with paying clients. He's a guide he has to treat his clients better but from my experience he tries to take care of everyone. i was even invited for lunch on two occasions and supper on another. He has a satellite phone up there for anyone to use. When i shot my bull some guys from his camp came to help me out, i did not ask for their help but they came anyway, if they had not i would have been SCREWED! The main goal is to harvest buffalo and that's what is being done. It is not a typical hunt everyone should know that going in and anyone can hunt the way they want but those guys have set it up to harvest buffalo. If the government steps in on the park the opportunity to draw a tag may be less than it is now. I don't ever post comments or reply to any, i thought i had to on this topic though. Thanks for your time!

Congrats on the bull! Pics or it didn't happen!!! Anyhow I think a lot of people have had the same experience as you. A few have had the experience of Truehunter as well. The people who have not experienced it first hand are the ones who typically seem to recoil at the whole idea but I think all of us that have had the tag will agree that unless you experience it first hand it's hard to form a good opinion.

• Like 1

Nicely put Greyghost

• Like 1

Congrats on the bull! Pics or it didn't happen!!! Anyhow I think a lot of people have had the same experience as you. A few have had the experience of Truehunter as well. The people who have not experienced it first hand are the ones who typically seem to recoil at the whole idea but I think all of us that have had the tag will agree that unless you experience it first hand it's hard to form a good opinion.

i'll try to figure out how to post a pic, i'm not a techy guy but i'll try. like i said it is not your ''typical'' hunt and not for everyone but i would do it again, possibly a little different. i did not mention that i had left my camp set up and a snow storm came in and crushed my tent. when i went back up it had been repaired by Russ and one of his clients. had he not fixed my tent it would have been a couple miserable nights. the client happened to be the guy i helped with his bull but i didn't know it at the time, i think they call it buffalo carma, just an example of the kind of guy he is as well as 98% of the people who draw the tag and help one another out. Brian and the rest of Russ's family are just as great, in my opinion. pic to come... i hope!

• Like 5