Sign in to follow this  
truehunter

2017 Buffalo House Rock Ranch

Just got off my buffalo hunt at house rock ranch. debated whether I should post this but decided it would help from point of view of those hunters looking to do a DIY hunt off house Rock.

My intentions are more to inform others that may apply or are getting ready for their hunt. But i will not hesitate to give my two cents and IM sure many will oppose my view but again this is to inform and hopefully with enough conversation and feedback will help others on how to go about the hunt on house rock ranch.

There is mainly one guide named Russ Jacoby and his crew. you can find some others that will help including jim Bedlion.

I talked to both before the hunt. Russ advised me that the best situation would be every hunter hunt with him that way as to not upset other hunters and it can be organized. There is a 2k fee for scouting package, a 4k fee for advertising and they clean up the buffalo and then fully guided fee of 6500.

Russ and the azgfd game warden mike rice put on a informative on buffalo every year. I did find it interesting that a guide would be doing that.

But basically when I got up there they wanted everyone to have radios so they can coordinate where every person sits. Then you sit in a blind every day for 16 hours a day and wait for a buffalo to cross onto the kiabab side.

I wish I would have know this before applying for buffalo. However I went on the hunt not knowing what to expect. I disagree with russ tactics of corrdinating the water holes and salt. He states this is to help everyone be successful. However in reality it is not. talk to anyone who has been on this hunt before unguided and they will let you know that he puts the highest paying clients on the best salt licks and water holes. then tells the self guided ones to sit in the other blinds. sometimes the self guided will get lucky but majortiy will come home empty handed.

I decided one morning to wake up early and get to a blind that had been very productive. I had been wantin gto sit this from day one. but decided to not stir things up if i got there early. so when I got there early and set up my own blind. One of Brian Myers (russ guide) clients came in after. noticed I was sitting in a different blind on that slat lick.

He left and then called Brian. Brian told him to get back in the blind and if a buffalo comes in to shoot basically over my shoulder because there is limited opportunity on this hunt. I know this because i got to know his client of which i wont state the name for now really well. How terrible and unsportsman like is that???? a Guide would tell someone even though in the regs and hunter ed states first come first serve basis. His client came back because he did not have a truck and Brian would not come pick hm up. we decided and agreed for him to sit in the other blind and if one comes in i get first shot and then if two came in we would each shoot one. But I cant get over how the russ jacoby operation is.

Later i saw Brian at another salt lick i was going to sit for the evening because I knew threw his clients radio that another of his clients went to go sit a different area. So i decided to sit that salt lick. when I saw Brian there he asked me what I was doing. I advised him I will be sitting this waterhole and he said that his client will be back this evening because he had a blow out on his tire but will be back. He flat out lied to me so I wouldnt sit that area as if he owns the whole area.

My dad was driving to check a different area and when russ made it back up he blocked a national forest road to not let him through because he had a client hunting that area.

who knows if there really was someone there but how rediculous is that?? you cant block roads.

Unfortunately i came home empty handed. I left a day early out of frustration of the whole hunt. it has been one of the most challenging hunts i have ever been on and then to top it off with russ jacoby and his guides running the show was just a huge dissapointment.

Not sure if anyone else has been through this, Maybe just me but just seems really unfair for the self guided hunter and i think the whole russ jacoby operation should stop.

Guiding is ok and I support it however when it comes to them blocking roads and telling clients to shoot over someone elses shoulder even if they werent there in the area first should stop.

Shame on Russ Jacoby and his crew for doing this. But my besides this that I feel like i have to get off my chest I want to inform everyone of how the hunt really is. unless you do the winter hunt and can track them the summer hunts are very long being in a blind all day. Understand that with that radio russ jacobi will not be placing you in the most ideal place even if he tries to convince you otherwise. If you have any questions or want to know any of the productive spots PM me and I can let you know for these areas for any of the upcoming hunts.

Sorry for the long post just felt it important to advise others of what is going on up there at the house rock buffalo hunt.

• Like 12

That's too bad. I stopped appying and only buying bonus points for buff until they get that fiasco straightened out. Every year someone posts a near identical post to yours about attempting to do it unguided.

• Like 3

I have heard this same thing from a couple of guys I know. He wants you to go through him and hunt by his rules on public lands.

Thanks for posting this. I wouldn't be surprised if the AZGF officer has his hand in the pot too.

• Like 1

I'm with GreyGhost on this one and will continue to only buy points until they get this straightened out. Too many bad stories for me to jump into the mix.

On a side note. I was recently told a story about an older gentleman who lives in the Showlow area and he came across someone who blocked a forest service road. Not sure how it all went down but the road blocker ended up having to hire someone to pull his truck out of a canyon. Anyone who blocks a road is just asking for trouble in my opinion.

I am also a true believer in first come first served no matter if you are DIY or someone with deep pockets and pay someone to find your animals for you.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I'm sure when you were planning and dreaming about your hunt you did not have all this BS in mind.

Thanks for the update

• Like 1

I have no dog in this fight and no desire to hunt buffalo but my understanding is that when they are not working together as a whole the herd just hops back into the park and no one gets a shot. Just my understanding of why it's like that up there. Also why I don't put in for buffalo.

My belief is its the same with big horn, good luck going diy with 5 guides on every hill. I'll stick to the low success no people around hunts.

• Like 1

Hopefully Russ gets booted out but not sure how likely that will happen until people start complaining to game and fish and report to liscensing board.

As for working together I didn't see much of that happening as a good thing. I think that is more of Russ jacoby and his gimmick to have control. Just on the other side these buffalo graze all day in the open with people snapping pictures right off the highway. These same buffalo crossover and step over carcasses and seem they could care less. They aren't like a smart mule deer or whitetail.

In my opinion dumb like a cow. But mighty tasty. I'll see if I can get some pics up.

Also heard Russ next venture is to shoot down any scouting for five days prior to hunt. This will decrease traffic. Sounds like a good plan but again it's all to gain control. Then he would be the only one with inside info.

I hope it stops for the future hunters that want to go out there and for my kids to maybe someday hunt this area.

• Like 1

I've heard the same thing. Seems to be time for game and fish to make a change and prioritize back to favorable conditions for a DIY hunter. It's ashame that a guide service can ruin a person's OIL opportunity without there being some type of repercussion on the guide outfit.

Aside from that, I wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror acting that way. The lack of integrity is putrid with guides like that.

• Like 2

Wow sounds like that guide and his crew need a A$$ whoopin. First come first serve period! I have heard the same stories, it's public land and fair chase. Shame on these guys. It's called hunting not killing. Sounds like you need permission after you draw a tag, screw that.

• Like 2

I have heard this junk for years. Not worth it to me. If I feel I need another buffalo I will pay to hunt a ranch somewhere. This is not the hunting experience I would want. Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

I have heard this junk for years. Not worth it to me. If I feel I need another buffalo I will pay to hunt a ranch somewhere. This is not the hunting experience I would want. Thanks for posting.

I heard the same. That is why, I too, will not go for that hunt. I will venture up to Colorado or NM if I want it bad enough. Well see what the Game and Fish do about the upcoming Canyon hunt.

ive never put in for it. i actually want to go now, just to troll them in real life.

We could still go up and take pics.