Sign in to follow this  
truehunter

2017 Buffalo House Rock Ranch

I have 18 points and will continue to buy points until something changes. Every year we hear very similar stories. I personally don't have any interest in going on that type of hunt! I will continue to buy points and hope something changes....

I would probably either start my own salt or set in a tree stand near the fence where they cross from the park. its probably fairly easy to tell where they have broken or pushed over the fence.

It seems that simple from a distance but there are more or less salts in every single saddle leading off the park. There are no trails or crossings that don't already have a salt. There is no fence left really. You can see the posts occasionally but there is nothing to funnel them. On top of that, they have absolutely no reason to leave the park except to salt, which brings us back around to the salts being in almost all natural areas that a bison may use. It's really a pretty small area where any and all bison activity occurs.

• Like 3

I have 18 points and will continue to buy points until something changes. Every year we hear very similar stories. I personally don't have any interest in going on that type of hunt! I will continue to buy points and hope something changes....

This is what I wish I had done. I invested some serious time and money in this hunt and although I'm glad I did it and I learn as much from unsuccessful hunts as I do successful ones I wish I woulda waited the situation out and saved my money on it. That being said I think the hunt that is currently going on is going to be the best one in years and will likely be the last good bull hunt as if they decide to cull them on the park it will make it that much harder to find a buffalo off the park when the total population is 80 buffalo instead of 800.

• Like 1

I wish I could head back up but unfortunately one has to make a living to support their family. Probably would have been more wise to hunt the second week as oppossed to the first week. But hindsight is always 20/20. from my experience in dealing with Brian and Russ has definately left a bitter taste in my mouth. I did talk to wildlife game manager about this incident and they said i am not the first. There have been many that said Brian and Russ are great people and just as many equally say the exact opposite and have a hunt very similar to mine. They have been informed to not block roads and give fair chance but still seem to cross the line and can get by with it. It looks like they are about to pass the law to lethally take buffalo on the park he was informing me and he has hopes that this will push the buffalo off the park and onto the kiabab. Could make the hunt better so it can be more of a hunt than a waiting game and it also could make it worse. who knows.

I would just hope that the DIY hunter could have an equal opportunity hunt to sit and/or stalk any animal without having areas blocked off or claimed by an outfitter.

Truehunter, I hope you're right about it pushing the buffalo onto the kaibab if they do a hunt. My worry is that it will push them deeper into the park. That stuff is so thick that they can disappear into it like ghosts. I think lethal methods on the park will be the worst thing that could happen to a sport hunter. Maybe it will push them off but there's a whole lot of park in there for them to disappear to. The "hunt" itself on the park won't be that, they may even do a lottery of volunteers to shoot but it won't be a hunt. They'll shoot only young of year and you won't be allowed to even approach the downed animal. They will hire packers to come in and haul them out and donate the meat. This is how previous culls on national parks have gone and likely how this one will go. I was reallly hoping they would fence the water sources on the park and it would push them off. They were half done with the big one just inside the park in the meadow when my hunt ended, not sure if they got it done or not. Sorry to hear you didn't kill. I'm in the same boat. I'm debating about buying points again or not. I'm a sucker for preference points so I may in hopes things change someday but we'll see.

I heard the same they were blocking off water sources on the park but I think like you said the main driving source is the salt. they hadnt completely shut it off but yea hopefully something good will come of it.

Buffalo are definately a different type of hunting alltogether.

Here's your other option-put in for the Raymond Ranch hunt. Go out with a game and fish employee to the bison eating hay , he points to the one to shoot. You shoot it. Done. Wahooo. At least on the Kaibab you are hunting animals that have some say in what happens, no matter how long and boring it is till it happens.

So wait . . . People are all butt hurt because when they go to sit on a salt lick set up by someone else, with a trailcam set by someone else and someone else's ground blind that they heard was being hit on a radio provided by that same someone else but then they get there and someone else is there?

I can see that.

yep, where ever I put a cam I own that area for a mile radius.

If this was a treestand instead of a salt lick people would be losing their minds right now.

• Like 3

Guides own the world. I met mike at the raymond ranch, from the way he was talking he is in cahoots with the guides, I'm sick of herein these stories of bullies outfitters, I didn't no the guides own the national forest. All about the Benjamin's

• Like 3

Let me add that there are some really cool guides that just like to help people, didn't mean to put all guides in the same boat.

Guides on the world. I met mike at the raymond ranch, from the way he was talking he is in cahoots with the guides, I'm sick of herein these stories of bullies outfitters, I didn't no the guides on the national forest. Al about the Benjamin's

unfortunately many guides are ruining hunting. not how it used to be.
Now it seems to be all about money and PRIDE!!!
  • Like 1

I've heard nothing but bad stories from friends and clients who have used Russ. From piss poor camp conditions, buff meat lost due to broken camp freezer, to piss poor guides. It's unfortunate that AZ guides are allowed to run an operation like this if it's true...

• Like 4

This sounds like the absolute worst hunt on earth. Endless blind sitting, no action, overcrowded waterholes and salt licks, outfits and AZGF running the hunts like they own the place..

Thank God I've no interest in an Arizona buffalo. As someone else mentioned, syphillis sounds more exciting and appealing than this.

I shot a big bull on the Ft Peck Indian rez in Montana in '07 and it was a fun hunt.

• Like 1

At least getting Syphillis would be a thrill. Sounds like getting a buffalo is more like getting a sliver in the same spot.

• Like 2