Sign in to follow this  
Hatchet Jack

Hot weather coues shed

Glassed up this coues shed a couple weekends ago. Had to go get it across the canyon the next morning. Man was it a hot son of a gun coming back out of that steep canyon once the sun was up. It's a 2016 drop, scores right at 44", has some pretty good mass. Also glassed an elk shed that ended up being a piece of chalk older than I am.

Here's a question for you coues experts. With coues being notorius for small home ranges, have you ever found a shed, then ended up going back in there and finding that buck the next summer/fall, because you knew he lived in that area based off finding his sheds in there?

post-13964-0-08039500-1499115724_thumb.jpg

post-13964-0-83633300-1499115912_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I'm the world's worst shed hunter, but have been running some trail cams in the same spots for years and see pictures of the same coues bucks over & over again, year after year, plus seeing them in the same saddles and bowls over & over again.

If he was there to drop that shed, I'd bet every dime I have that he'll show up on that same hillside again unless he's gone for a ride in somebody's truck already. The only question is when......

• Like 2

I know where there is a muley pick up rack that I have glasses up 4 or 5 times. But dang if I have ever had the desire to hike out and get it. Nasty, NASTY terrain to go get it about 2 miles away.

Looks like those euro hds are working for ya.

Love em. Definitely can't blame my lack of big deer on my binos anymore. I think this is my year ha

I was putting a move on a buck a lot of years ago in 23, and stumbled on a nice set laying side by side. I stopped, took my pack off, put them in the pack, put the pack back on, and literally took 2 steps and blew a deer out from below me. Put the glass on him, and it was the buck I was stalking; he had gotten out of his bed and moved several hundred yards up the ridge towards me. Luckily, he stopped to look back and I was able to get a shot off and killed him. When I walked up to the buck, I pulled the sheds out, and they were from my buck from the year before. Buck went 104, sheds probably went mid 90's. Thought that was pretty neat.

• Like 7

I was putting a move on a buck a lot of years ago in 23, and stumbled on a nice set laying side by side. I stopped, took my pack off, put them in the pack, put the pack back on, and literally took 2 steps and blew a deer out from below me. Put the glass on him, and it was the buck I was stalking; he had gotten out of his bed and moved several hundred yards up the ridge towards me. Luckily, he stopped to look back and I was able to get a shot off and killed him. When I walked up to the buck, I pulled the sheds out, and they were from my buck from the year before. Buck went 104, sheds probably went mid 90's. Thought that was pretty neat.

That's amazing. I've dreamed of doing that exact thing.

That's amazing. I've dreamed of doing that exact thing.

Not to hijack, but another cool thing about that buck - I had originally glassed him from a long ways off a couple days before, and he was acting extremely skittish. Even for a Coues. He would take a step or two, look all around for 30 seconds or more, and repeat. Then, every 20 yards or so he would lay down and lick his hind quarters for a few minutes, then stand up, look around, take a step or two, etc. I thought it was weird, but didn't pay it too much mind. When I killed him, we had to bone him out because we were packed a ways in. Well, my old man was skinning a hind quarter and came to a tough spot. His hide actually went inside the meat on his ham in a vertical line about 8" long. Right next to that, he ran into another line, and then another. I was working on the other hind quarter and ran into the same thing on the back of his knee, but horizontally. When we got the hide off and stepped back and looked at it, it was clear as day - a lion had raked his claws down his ham on one side and tried to swipe his leg out from under him on the other side. It was almost all healed; you couldn't tell without removing the hide so it had to have been some time ago, but it suddenly made sense why he was so skittish.

• Like 2