Sign in to follow this  
FirstBlood

"Boom" Maybe a 2 week adventure..

Well I'm hoping for a 2 week adventure , Cause I was Drawn for Muzzle loader elk in 6a and my first choice was 6a WT Mid Nov, The week before Elk .. So if your scoring at home , Deer ends on Thursday, Elk Begins on Friday...One camp, 2 big game tags and a whole lot of fun...Crossing My Fingers...So tell me my Coues brothers , Do you think it was smart to plan it like that or did I over think it..

• Like 3

If you got the time & energy, go for it. Each persons circumstances are different. I know my job would not allow me the time off.

Have fun and make the most of it.

• Like 1

Sounds good to me, if my work wouldn't let me off I'd get a different job.

I may have same issue with late cow elk and late deer.

Pto built up and ready plus the stupid az voters just gave me another 21 hours sick time so I'll have a fever around December I'm guessing.

better plan on a hard hunt for both those tags - best advise to get off a side canyon and the lower the better

easy goin down -

Energy level and pacing yourself will be the key. Now that I am a geezer I have to plan "light energy" hunting days among the "strenuous trips" so to stay in the field each day and optimize chances for the desired trophy.

Would you hint the same country for both? If I was hunting cow elk in 6A I wouldn't be doing it in Coues Canyons.

Guest oneshot

If you got the time & energy, go for it. Each persons circumstances are different. I know my job would not allow me the time off.

While interviewing for ANY new job, I've ALWAYS stipulated I'm a Hunter and deer season is when I won't be availible to work, I'll work my birthday/their birthday/christmas day, but DEER SEASON is mine...

(Military service was the only time i was denied, but I figured a way around that after the first year hahaha)

Been told after hiring-on "You can't take the time off, we are to busy" "I'm the boss and I dont get time off" etc... sorry for your luck Boss-man, but I'm taking deer season, if I have a job when it's over and i come back may be a different story, but I was looking for a job when I walked through your doors anyway...

Life is to short to not Hunt...

We did back to back weeks last year but had to move from one unit to the other took a couple days and shortened our cow hunt.

If it was in the same unit it could be great.

I hunted 11 solo days sun up to sundown spot and stalk lope in 90+ temps with sun exposure every day came home empty handed and 100% delirious from low electrolytes would kill to have a hunt like that again.good luck have fun

Believe me there is a lot of Big Bulls in Coues Country in southern part of 6a....As far as wearing myself out, I let my glasses do 85% of my walking...Hiking is over rated .. But lets not put the wagon before the horse, I Need to be drawn for my first choice .. But all my choices are 6a

knothead, on 08 Jul 2017 - 10:59 AM, said:snapback.png

"While interviewing for ANY new job, I've ALWAYS stipulated I'm a Hunter and deer season is when I won't be availible to work, I'll work my birthday/their birthday/christmas day, but DEER SEASON is mine...

(Military service was the only time i was denied, but I figured a way around that after the first year hahaha)

Been told after hiring-on "You can't take the time off, we are to busy" "I'm the boss and I dont get time off" etc... sorry for your luck Boss-man, but I'm taking deer season, if I have a job when it's over and i come back may be a different story, but I was looking for a job when I walked through your doors anyway...

Life is to short to not Hunt..."

One-shot

When I decided to become a High School teacher I knew there would be some trade offs. I love my job but it sucks when it comes to taking time off for hunting. I have always been jealous of people who take the entire season off. I tell my friends, I would gladly trade my 2 months off in the summer for 2 weeks off in the fall. I usually try to apply for hunts that take place during long weekends, thanksgiving or Christmas break. The district I work in gives us 10 discretionary days a year. If we want to take 2 or more consecutive days we need to get signed permission from principal. He has been supportive and understands hunting is my passion but I don't abuse this. He once told be the first 5 are a gimmie after that it is a case by case bases. As an educator I feel guilty when I am away from my classes because I know what happens when we have a sub. I work with a few teachers who use all their discretionary days each year and technically that is their right but as a professional educator I try to be in the classroom as much as I can. This year I drew an early archery bull tag. I will hunt the first friday-sunday, go back to work and then hunt the last sat-thursday. If I kill early I will come back to work sooner and cancel days off.

Only 1 time in my 21 years of teaching have I requested for an entire week off. This was about 8 or 9 years ago. On the drive up I got kidney stones and my buddy had to take me to the emergency room at flagstaff hospital. I spent the entire first day of my hunt in that hospital. They wanted me to stay but I said get me out of here because I have an elk hunt. I did not pass the stones until Thursday morning and it was not a pretty sight. For about 6 days I would be good for a few hours and then they would shift and I would be in excruciating pain anywhere from 20 minutes to 3 hours. My fellow teachers told me that is what happens when you request time off.

I also agree that life is too short and everyone should try to squeeze as much out of it as they can. Good Hunting!

John

I understand that because my wife is a High School Teacher.. Myself I own a small business with several wonderful employees who could run the fort for me while I'm away ,,, Plus my wife is a bigger ball buster than I being a teacher and all...You know with todays technology being away isn't really being away even when you want to be away,,,,, They seem to always find me . . But I do save my days for hunting....

There should be a law stating that there should be no school and/or work for any kid or hunter that got drawn for big game :)

• Like 2