Sign in to follow this  
Jnj13

6.5 Creedmoor for elk?

Not sure if this is the right place for this topic but here it goes. My son and I are in our 4th season of hunting. Not nearly enough experience hunting so would appreciate any advice on this.

Is the 6.5 creedmoor enough gun for an elk hunt? I’ve done the online research. Read some forums with mixed reviews.

Here is what I found. A nice bull shot at over 600 yards with a 6.5 creedmoor 129 grain hornady- dropped it.

And an African safari that used a 6.5 creedmoor and was able to harvest an elon, among others, with it.

My conclusion is that it is “enough gun” on a well placed shot. My son has a couple kills with this rifle and we both feel confident with it out to 600 yards. More so than our 300 win mag. (Our less accurate option.)

We will be hunting at 4000-5000 ft and using the Hornady 120 grain GMX superformance.

Any opinions or first hand experience on this?

Thanks

My 6.5 got a cow elk last year at 550 yards. It's definitely not the ideal caliber for Elk, but it will work at medium distances.

• Like 2

Wife is gonna use one this year. She shoots it a lot better than my stw. The more comfortable she is the more confident I am. Her max range will be 500ish with 140 bergers around 2800 fps

• Like 2

Something I would look at is the distance a bullet stops giving reliable expansion for a given velocity. Shot placement is key, below is an excellent example.

• Like 2

One of my girls will use my kimber Adirondack in 6.5 on her youth cow hunt. I'm shooting the 143gr ELDX. It stacks them and suppressed it's a baby to shoot

• Like 2

I agree with using heavier bullet than your choice and limit distance to 550 and only well placed shot. Puta second in if possible

• Like 1

I wouldn't hesitate if I know I can make that shot with comfort!!! That round will do, but since you have options for 140s I would go with that!

• Like 1

The 6.5 would not be my first choice, but if your choices are a 6.5 he's comfortable behind or a 300 he's not go with the 6.5. The bullet I would go with would be the 130 Swift Scirocco. They work! I've used them on game out to 700 yds and recovered them from wet newspaper at 1000 yds they always open, expand 2.5x, and retain 70 to 90% weight. The BC isn't bad either .570 ish I believe.

• Like 1

I've heard many rave about the swift scirocco ii, and I would imagine it would be a better choice for elk if your rifle shoots them straight. You would have to reload them, though. Doubletap Ammo also loads 140 grain accubonds, which would also be an excellent choice

• Like 1

I've heard many rave about the swift scirocco ii, and I would imagine it would be a better choice for elk if your rifle shoots them straight. You would have to reload them, though. Doubletap Ammo also loads 140 grain accubonds, which would also be an excellent choice

Norma loads the 130 Scirocco for the Creedmoor.

• Like 2

Yes, just limit your distance to ranges you know you can hit consistently.

I took my cow elk a couple years ago with a 257 weatherby at 280 yards. It did the job well. I wouldn't have taken a shot past about 400 yards though on an elk. With only 115gr bullet I think that was about the limit.

I took that rifle that year because I knew I can hit with it. I have alot bigger rifles in my safe, but I didn't have confidence in making good hits with them at longer ranges. Shot placement is more important than cartridge power. A big round in a bad spot is worse than a smaller round in a good spot.

I was shooting 115gr Berger VLDs handloaded at mild-moderate velocity for the 257 weatherby.

My back-up rifle on last year's cow elk hunt was a sporterized mauser in 6.5x55 swedish shooting 140gr SST's. My 257 weatherby was on loan to another guy on my hunt.

• Like 1

Sounds like the consensus is to go with the 143 ELD-X so I need to find those and try them out. Looks like they produce about 100FT-LBS more energy at slightly slower speed with only a few inches more of drop.

Appreciate the advice.