Deserttrecker

Show Me Some 12A East Bucks

I put in for the 12A East muzzleloader hunt with 5 BPs. First time getting drawn for deer! I've been wishing for a Strip tag eventually but I might be moving out of state this year or next so I figured this would be my best bet. I'm stoked and I'd love to see some bucks any one here might have taken front the unit.

NOOOOOOOO Don't do it!!!! I put in for 12AE NO tag for me :(

Congrats on the tag! This hunt was my first choice also so I'm hoping in drew it. Last time I was in 12ae was my first deer hunt probably 15 years ago. I knew nothing about hunting and when my dad asked where I wanted to put in I told him a friend at school said it was a good unit. Well I drew the early hunt with only my hunter ed bp, and knowing nothing about the unit, tagged out on a nice spike opening morning. The embarrassing part was at the check in there were probably 20 trucks with big 4x4s in the beds. When we got to the front of the line one of the g&f guys yelled " we got a yearling. We need a weight." So they had to stop the line and hoist my little buck up a block and tackle for all to see. Oh well. Was still happy to tag out and after about 10 other deer I can still say my smallest deer I have ever killed was on the kiabab.

• Like 4

It is funny. People think there are mature 4x4s behind every tree up in the 12s & 13s. You still have to work for them. Sure, you can get lucky and see a brute on opening morning, but not the norm. 2 years ago, we saw 85 bucks in 9 days. Probably 5-6 were big. Still, another 15-20 were 120-150+ 4x4s. Still good odds, but that was with probably 80+ hours of glassing and moving. One day, we say 22 bucks. All 2x2s. From yearlings to 26" wide, but still all forkies.

Last year, on the late hunt, in 3 days, we only saw 9 bucks. Wind had them down for the first 1.5 days before the opener. Day before opener, it quit at sunset, and we saw two decent bucks, 140-150ish at last light. Opening day was tough, saw a brute 3x3, 2 small 4x4s and a 3x3. Taylor shot her buck at first light on day 2, and we saw one other small 4x4 as we were hiking over to her buck.

I am sure we would have seen a lot more deer, but Taylor popped her nice buck early in the hunt.

If you have to leave AZ, get some money together and get your lifetime hunting license license.

https://www.azgfd.com/PortalImages/files/licenses/Lifetime%20License%20Application_2014.pdf

Prices have gone up a little bit, but still a great deal considering what an out of state license costs to just buy a bonus point. Not to mention you still draw in the resident pool even if you have to pay non-resident tag fees. Still not bad, except for bison considering you can hunt your new state and come back every 5-8 after you draw a better AZ tag.

Congrats on the tag! This hunt was my first choice also so I'm hoping in drew it. Last time I was in 12ae was my first deer hunt probably 15 years ago. I knew nothing about hunting and when my dad asked where I wanted to put in I told him a friend at school said it was a good unit. Well I drew the early hunt with only my hunter ed bp, and knowing nothing about the unit, tagged out on a nice spike opening morning. The embarrassing part was at the check in there were probably 20 trucks with big 4x4s in the beds. When we got to the front of the line one of the g&f guys yelled " we got a yearling. We need a weight." So they had to stop the line and hoist my little buck up a block and tackle for all to see. Oh well. Was still happy to tag out and after about 10 other deer I can still say my smallest deer I have ever killed was on the kiabab.

Nothing wrong with that. Great memories for you. I killed a forky in 12aw a couple years ago and had a great hunt and great memories. My first mule deer and first AZ big game animal...very pleased. Can't wait to get back up there.

If you have to leave AZ, get some money together and get your lifetime hunting license license.

https://www.azgfd.com/PortalImages/files/licenses/Lifetime%20License%20Application_2014.pdf

Prices have gone up a little bit, but still a great deal considering what an out of state license costs to just buy a bonus point. Not to mention you still draw in the resident pool even if you have to pay non-resident tag fees. Still not bad, except for bison considering you can hunt your new state and come back every 5-8 after you draw a better AZ tag.

I'm at least considering this for my two boys. Even though the oldest won't be able to hunt in AZ for 5 years

• Like 1